• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Help PLEASE, With A Wet MAK!

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I really don't know what to do! I've covered my MAK with everything I can think of, including the OEM cover, plastic and a fiber-backed vinyl cover, but nothing is keeping it dry underneath. When I remove the cover, water is dripping on the outside of the grill. Inside, the grill grate is moldy. A few leftover pellets in the hopper appear to be slightly swollen. It can't be good for the electronics either.
I store my bags of pellets, charcoal and a Primo under a heavy duty tarp. When I lifted the tarp to check... moisture everywhere! The bags of charcoal feel damp. I know I'm destroying my 10 or so, 40# bags of pellets. Thing is, last winter, I didn't seem to have this problem under the tarp. Now, all of a sudden, this winter, everything is wet! If I had room in the garage, everything would be in there.
How in the world are you guys keeping your stuff dry??? It's driving me nuts! Is it a climate thing? Something different in the air from last year???

Get a shed. Tin sheds are cheap and so are the tarp ones. Even in the humid of winter there is enough breathing room for them that way

I store grills, smokers and pellets in either garage, shed or pole barn, grills and smokers will last 5 times longer. Even with pellets inside you have to keep them off the ground or a cement floor, a pallet works great!

Do not let the cover sit on the cooker and do not cover it to the ground. You are creating the conditions for condensation by covering it completely. You need to get air to circulate around the grill while it is covered.

Of course, a shed is a nicer answer

Is there some kind of small, break down, tarp shed that I can get? SWMBO will not allow me to build a proper shed, but she might let me put one up, if can easily break it down once the rainy season is over.

I have often thought about one of these...
1511_1916_large.jpg

Cars are waterproof, smokers are usually not. My truck sits in the driveway, while my performer, ranch kettle, 26.75" OTG, OTS, WSM, and 5 ft long reverse flow sit in the garage. With a 3 car garage, I can still get my wife's car in. It's a matter of getting the important stuff in out of the weather.

Back