Im in!!! I am sure I am well under the requirement at a whopping 0 previous TD entries.....

Now to research how to post pics........:redface:

Personally, I don't have any skill at all in the electronic darkroom. When they are touched up, they look touched up and I can see that many of my Brethren have the same two left thumbs. I don't hold it against them in the voting. While a beautiful photo does help get votes. It certainly isn't necessary. If you go through the Hall of Fame you'll see plenty of examples of winning entries that are NOT necessarily good photos. A great idea and a great dish really are the most important things. I don't think you can win without these elements, but you can win with a bad photo, and this is a good thing in my opinion!

Chris,

Just to clarify....Are the dates correct? We get an entire month to participate? 11/22 - 12/31...

Thanks!

Personally, I don't have any skill at all in the electronic darkroom. When they are touched up, they look touched up and I can see that many of my Brethren have the same two left thumbs. I don't hold it against them in the voting. While a beautiful photo does help get votes. It certainly isn't necessary. If you go through the Hall of Fame you'll see plenty of examples of winning entries that are NOT necessarily good photos. A great idea and a great dish really are the most important things. I don't think you can win without these elements, but you can win with a bad photo, and this is a good thing in my opinion!

Although I haven't won any of these, I have to agree with the great idea and great dish are the most important items.

Of course it doesn't hurt to have decent photography skills either. Looks like I am gonna have to start taking a LOT more photos... :tsk:

Great idea for a TD. Perhaps you could even post a sticky post in the other sections to try and recruit more people that don't regularly check the TD area.

Hmm...not too many takers so far. While we're waiting, I am not sure if I have been around here long enough to offer any pointers, but I would second Gore's comment on reviewing the Hall of Fame. It shows what does well better than any other barometer. It also gives you a sense of the history of the competition.

Anything with bacon almost always gets extra votes. Anything with eggplant has the opposite effect. Closeups of the best part of the food tend to do better than a full plate where the whole food landscape doesn't make you drool. Color variation (e.g. not just a wash of yellow) seems to help. Matching the spirit of the week's category helps, too.

My two cents.

As a final note, I am amazed that KnucklHed has few enough entries to participate in this one. He has to be the sluttiest almost-virgin of all time.

oops...penalty box?

I don't know that I have ever entered a throwdown so I'm entering Pork E Pig, my all pork oinker featuring smoked sausage legs, ground pork body, vienna sausage nose, ham ears, a bacon wrap and a pork rind tail.

IMG_0302copy.jpg

IMG_0317copy.jpg

IMG_0294copy.jpg

IMG_0299copy.jpg

IMG_0316copy.jpg

IMG_0328copy.jpg

IMG_0338copy.jpg

Awe...how cute! But for some reason I wasn't expecting the last one - don't know why 'cause I should have. Nice entry!:becky:
IMG_0317copy.jpg

How does one enter?
What are the judging criteria?
Rules for entering are available on the first post of this thread. Just make sure your entry is cooked during the period this contest is open, and the pics are posted within the proper timeline as well.

There are no rules for judging. Voters are free to decide what they think is best on whatever criteria they choose. Typically it is a combination of best sounding dish, best looking dish, and maybe even photo quality, but really having a good dish is the most important probably.

I'm in...
I got a free smoker last week. I had never smoked anything...and can cook a hamburger on my propane grill if I pay attention. I started researching what this was all about and wound up here asking questions. Thanks to the fine answers and resources here and elsewhere on the web I got an idea how this thing was supposed to work.

I started by trying test runs on the smoker trying to figure out how to control the temperature. I burned through 20 pounds of charcoal figuring out how to seal the air leaks and feed the fire over 2 days. I bought a shoulder and split it in half to shorten the cooking time, while I was at it I tried two different rubs, bagged and in the fridge over night.

I smoked it as directed, and basted it with apple juice mixed with homemade apricot jam. After 10 hours in the smoker it went into the oven to finish. The meat turned out perfect with a nice bark and a deep coloring.

Verdict...really good food! Good enough I'll keep at it.

Thanks for the guidance, it would have been a catastrophic failure without the help.
here's a picture
DSCF01361320x990.jpg

I wasn't thinking about taking a good picture...just documentation.
I made some Carolina vinegar/mustard sauce, it's OK but I like SW style sauces better. Still the flavor could grow on me.

Back