• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What is the longest plateau?

Pipin' Pig

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I am cooking a brisket right now and it has been stuck right at 140 for the last 4 hours as a 10h 45m cook so far. Cooking at 250 and temps have been really steady for 2+ hours at a time between fuel additions.

Man am I getting hungry and it would appear I have a ways to go.

Last week I had a 7.5 lb flat on and almost the same temps as yours and mine stuck at 155 for 4.5 hours. Right around the same time yours is at, it started to climb slowly. 14 hours total it was off and foiled and into the cooler. The waiting is worth it. :-D

Last edited:
I've had one plateau for 4.5 hrs. After that, it was a matter of 2 hrs before it was ready.

As a competitive cook, the plateau of a brisket is about the most stressful part for me.......how long is it going to stick for, am I going to get much cooler time, etc.
At one contest a few years back, brisket went right from the cooker to the box, 15 hour cook....and it was just approaching 185* internal......

Geez, my stomach is churning just reminiscing about it......

I had a pork butt yesterday that never did get over 180. But just part of it
Never had one do that before

Prior to meeting all you guys and learning about coolering, I did 2 butts on my offset that took 23 hours to reach 190. I bet they plateaued for 10+ hours.

I've had pork butts that took 19 hours... Briskets that took 16 hours... It just depends on the meat....

3 - 5 hours is about average....

2 6lb butts just took me 18 hrs and they still could have gone another 2 hrs.

not to hijack a bit, but if something seems like its stuck too long, i push the temps 10-20 degrees till it breaks.

Four hours at 140* they should have a pretty good color? Foil those that bad boy a crank the heat. You'll be eating in no time. That works for me when the family is starving and not wanting to wait any longer.

Had a pork butt 2 weeks ago that took...6?? maybe it was 8 hours even to get past...all depends on the amount of collogen in meat. Now if the amount of collogen is relevent to the amount of marbeling in other cuts, than that would be like a higher grade, huh? If that is true, than a longer plateau would be a good thing. Collogen and fat are closely related which translates to flavor...have a couple more beers and enjoy :biggrin:

Back