MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #31
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Anyone who cooks food for money should know what the fark they are cooking. Period.

CD
Quote:
If that is the case, then the owner of the restaurant doesn't have a proper training program in place. Nobody working in a restaurant should be interacting with diners unless they know how to talk to the diners about the food with knowledge and confidence.

CD
Wow, you haven't been to a restaurant lately. I think it is a minute detail that the counter person should know if the brisket is the point or the flat. The general public will not ask this question. My employees do know how the product is produced in general.
Bob had it right, the OP did not talk to the cook. I'll just leave this here since this is Q-Talk.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 06-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #32
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
If that is the case, then the owner of the restaurant doesn't have a proper training program in place. Nobody working in a restaurant should be interacting with diners unless they know how to talk to the diners about the food with knowledge and confidence.

CD
Wow. With that attitude, you can probably count the list of acceptable restaurants on one hand.

Where do you draw the line? If the bus boy doesn't know the hybrid of the lettuce in the side salads? What if the waitress doesn't know which region of Italy the olives for the olive oil are grown? Or where the minerals for the ceramic plates were mined?

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #33
wrenfro12
Full Fledged Farker

I once went on a Gordon Ramsey style rant in a restaurant when the server could not tell me what breed of cow was used to make the steak fajitas. How could you be in business and not know such simple things?

Wilbur's Been Smokin' Somethin'
Woodstock, GA

wilbursbbq.com
wrenfro12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #34
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I think this discussion shows what I heard on a local news spot the other night with regards to our society. We have become a much more demanding society. In the case of food and restaurants. We want/demand royalty type service or we throw temper tantrums either in the restaurant or on a review site such as Yelp or Urbanspoon. We want fine dining for fast food type prices. We want a top notch meal served in drive thru time.

I'm glad I don't own a restaurant or any type of vending/catering business. When we do tradeshows to push our products I see first hand how rude, crude and arrogant people are. It never fails. When we're sampling there's going to be those who feel the need to walk up to you and tell you why they like product "A" better than yours. Yet when you ask them have they even tried yours they answer "no". Then you've got the arrogant health nuts who get upset because your product isn't "gluten free", "sugar free", "fat free", "calorie free" etc. Or the classic d-bag who makes it a point to walk up to you (having no intentions of sampling) just to let you know that "He makes his own bbq sauce" and yours isn't no where as good as his. Yet he's never tried yours and refuses to when you ask him to.

People can be very crude and it seems grocery stores and restaurants are the places where they feel they are obligated to be that way.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #35
estex
Found some matches.

I had an experience of a sort when the guy used an ICE CREAM SCOOP to put the Chopped BBQ on a bun and it was YELLOW. Then he said it was his secret MUSTARD sauce. It was at a town carnival/street fair in Clay County West Virginia.

1. Never knew (this was back in 2002) there was mustard in BBQ...Doesn't go together. I know that's a Yankee thing but NO..Bad dog! (Blahahahaha Mustard and Yankees)
2. There sure in the hell isn't an ICE CREAM SCCOP in BBQ not NO, but HELL NO!

one bite and threw it away

Old 06-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #36
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
... We have become a much more demanding society. In the case of food and restaurants. We want/demand royalty type service or we throw temper tantrums either in the restaurant or on a review site such as Yelp or Urbanspoon. We want fine dining for fast food type prices. We want a top notch meal served in drive thru time.
I think you're on it right here. For some bizarre reason people are expecting $100 service for $5. For that matter, when I've eaten at places that are around the $100 per person, I'm not sure the server could tell me the level of details we've discussed. The cook probably could, but not the server...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #37
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by estex View Post
I had an experience of a sort when the guy used an ICE CREAM SCOOP to put the Chopped BBQ on a bun and it was YELLOW. Then he said it was his secret MUSTARD sauce. It was at a town carnival/street fair in Clay County West Virginia.

1. Never knew (this was back in 2002) there was mustard in BBQ...Doesn't go together. I know that's a Yankee thing but NO..Bad dog! (Blahahahaha Mustard and Yankees)
2. There sure in the hell isn't an ICE CREAM SCCOP in BBQ not NO, but HELL NO!

one bite and threw it away
Granted I'm not saying what you ate wasn't horrible. But in a lot of people's minds mustard "goes with" bbq just fine. It is in a lot of bbq sauces. A lot of people use mustard as a slather on their ribs and pork butts. I use mustard powder in several of the rubs I use. One of the best sauces I've eaten is a mustard based sauce. But like anything dealing with food. It's about taste buds and preferences. But you did say you are a Yankee so that explains a lot.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #38
Lake Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenfro12 View Post
I once went on a Gordon Ramsey style rant in a restaurant when the server could not tell me what breed of cow was used to make the steak fajitas. How could you be in business and not know such simple things?
Perhaps because they couldn't pronounce Appaloosa...

Hopefully you didn't pull a Gordon Ramsey... First, that's TV, for the sake of TV. Second, he owns the **** thing; you aren't/weren't the owner.

As a customer, if you want to know that, ask. However, if they dont know the answer, then either dont order the thing, or go somewhere else... Certainly up to you, but pulling a "baby fit" is childish and rude. If I were an owner of the place, I'd have called the cops and pressed charges for assault and possibly pressed civil charges for defamation of character.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #39
hnd
Full Fledged Farker

you certainly would of gotten a huge eye roll from me if i was in line behind you. the guy across the street from my house had no idea what the flat or the point was of briskets but he's smoked them for years and they are delicious. he even slices them thinner than i'd like.

yeah yeah yeah, you make great bbq at home with 1 smoker and a packer or 2 as i'm sure you'll tell us. eating out isn't always about eating things that you can't make better at home. It's sometimes about trying new things and the convenience of not having to dirty some dishes.

just put yourself in line behind you

"what do you smoke this with?"
"oak"
"is it post oak or red oak?"
"its oak"
"IM NOT EATING HERE THIS IS PREPOSTEROUS!!"
hnd is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #40
Lake Dogs

Quote:
Granted I'm not saying what you ate wasn't horrible. But in a lot of people's minds mustard "goes with" bbq just fine. It is in a lot of bbq sauces. A lot of people use mustard as a slather on their ribs and pork butts. I use mustard powder in several of the rubs I use. One of the best sauces I've eaten is a mustard based sauce. But like anything dealing with food. It's about taste buds and preferences. But you did say you are a Yankee so that explains a lot.
The problem is that people dont know what they dont know. Only with more knowledge do we truly know that individually we dont know squat...

He probably doesn't know that mustard (either in the liquid form we know as mustard, or powder, etc.) is a key ingredient in probably 60-70% of over-the-counter sauces... Just some use it as they base/key ingredient...

Hey, try Shack Attack. I'm not much personally for mustard based sauces, but this one is GOOOOOOD on pork.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #41
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenfro12 View Post
heh heh heh... What "breed of cow" indeed.
Jeezus!

FYI. Fajitas are made from one of the cheapest cuts of beef regardless of the breed.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #42
Steve Z
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
I think this discussion shows what I heard on a local news spot the other night with regards to our society. We have become a much more demanding society. In the case of food and restaurants. We want/demand royalty type service or we throw temper tantrums either in the restaurant or on a review site such as Yelp or Urbanspoon. We want fine dining for fast food type prices. We want a top notch meal served in drive thru time.

I'm glad I don't own a restaurant or any type of vending/catering business. When we do tradeshows to push our products I see first hand how rude, crude and arrogant people are. It never fails. When we're sampling there's going to be those who feel the need to walk up to you and tell you why they like product "A" better than yours. Yet when you ask them have they even tried yours they answer "no". Then you've got the arrogant health nuts who get upset because your product isn't "gluten free", "sugar free", "fat free", "calorie free" etc. Or the classic d-bag who makes it a point to walk up to you (having no intentions of sampling) just to let you know that "He makes his own bbq sauce" and yours isn't no where as good as his. Yet he's never tried yours and refuses to when you ask him to.

People can be very crude and it seems grocery stores and restaurants are the places where they feel they are obligated to be that way.
The internet has made it easy for people to do research and be more educated about things, and I think that's a good thing. I think we're losing our culture when you drive around cities and they all look the same, with the same chains restaurants, the same stores in the same old strip malls.

So, IMO, there's a good side to being demanding. It's awesome if people seek out restaurants that are local and not part of a chain, and demanding food or service that's better than average.

But, there's no excuse to be rude. It's a fine line. I wasn't there, so I can't comment on the original story. Ultimately, I just think it's okay to be a little snobby, but not to be rude or disrespectful.
Steve Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #43
hnd
Full Fledged Farker

i just want to know where he decided to eat instead....taco bell?
hnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #44
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

CD
Disagree. Try to apply that same logic across all business sectors.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #45
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Z View Post
The internet has made it easy for people to do research and be more educated about things, and I think that's a good thing. I think we're losing our culture when you drive around cities and they all look the same, with the same chains restaurants, the same stores in the same old strip malls.

So, IMO, there's a good side to being demanding. It's awesome if people seek out restaurants that are local and not part of a chain, and demanding food or service that's better than average.

But, there's no excuse to be rude. It's a fine line. I wasn't there, so I can't comment on the original story. Ultimately, I just think it's okay to be a little snobby, but not to be rude or disrespectful.
I have no issue with wanting diversity in choices. I'd hate to know that my city only had Mexican restaurants and nothing else. But at the same time there are reasonable demands and there are idiotic ones. Our society seems to have forgotten the difference between the two.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit