MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #16
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i see. yeah both of mine have that "hinge".

wouldn't consider putting ANY weight on it though.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #17
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I just take the door off, turn is sideways a bit to fit into the opening and dump charcoal so it slides into the charcoal ring. Then just put the door back on. Simple enough.

Besides propping the door open a bit, has anyone been able to run their WSM at 300F for any significant period of time(4 hours or so)? I have been able to get it there it just doesn't hold that temp for much more than an hour before consuming the fuel and dropping down to 275F at best. I've thought of stacking another charcoal ring and grate on top of the existing one but am concerned the ash would smother the bottom layer of charcoal. Anyone out there try this before? Oh, and i don't use water either just a couple of foiled bricks in the pan and cover the pan with foil.
KCBS CBJ & TC #55078
IBCA #2570
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #18
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
interesting, i was not aware of the door being intended as a chute also.

i have what i think is the newest incarnation of the WSM 22. it is an AA. the door appears to be the same as my earlier model, an AE, i think.
Probably not an AE as that would be a 2019 model.
A DE or an AD is what you would have.

If I need to refuel, I just use an old, small coal shovel, or a tiny spade shovel. Lay the charcoal bag in it's side, and shovel fresh fuel in through the door.

If using water in the pan and it needs to be replenished, I use a 1 gallon apple juice container and a piece of PVC that fits over the mouth. Insert the end of the pipe through the door above the lower grate, pour water from the jug through the pipe into the water pan.

Easy Peasy.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #19
Myrdhyn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ View Post
I just take the door off, turn is sideways a bit to fit into the opening and dump charcoal so it slides into the charcoal ring. Then just put the door back on. Simple enough.

Besides propping the door open a bit, has anyone been able to run their WSM at 300F for any significant period of time(4 hours or so)? I have been able to get it there it just doesn't hold that temp for much more than an hour before consuming the fuel and dropping down to 275F at best. I've thought of stacking another charcoal ring and grate on top of the existing one but am concerned the ash would smother the bottom layer of charcoal. Anyone out there try this before? Oh, and i don't use water either just a couple of foiled bricks in the pan and cover the pan with foil.
Mine will hold 350 for quite a while with all three bottom vents wide open. Never timed it, but I'd guess 2-3hrs at least. This is with a full load of kingsford blue and about 30 light coals for minion method. Takes a while to get to that temp though.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #20
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I can get mine at 315 for a while with my Guru. I need to open all the bottom vents, though.

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #21
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

I do like Boogie. Just lift the whole barrel and top off at once and set it down. Then you can rake the spent fuel, add more, get it going, etc. Worst thing is to mess around with spent fuel and kick it all up. Looks like pepper... but it's ass. I'd think twice about it.