MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default WSM Extender

Hi,

I know that Pro Q makes (made?) an extender for the 18", but I don't see it around here at competitions. I've also never seen an extender for the 22".

Does that seem odd to anyone else? The WSM is the most popular smoker out there and yet I don't see many after market accessories for them.

I have someone making an extender for the 22" for me custom, but I'm surprised that there not out there commercially.

I'd also buy a 'chute' like device to slide charcoal in during a cook. Some sort of 1/2 cylindrical tube sorta thing.

Would other WSM users be interested in stuff like this?

BTW, I saw on another site that someone is using a one piece funnel w/ hose that you use for transmission fluid for the water pan on the WSM. Good idea and costs under $5.00.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i would be interested in a functional refueling tool for sure.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
Hi,

I know that Pro Q makes (made?) an extender for the 18", but I don't see it around here at competitions. I've also never seen an extender for the 22".

Does that seem odd to anyone else? The WSM is the most popular smoker out there and yet I don't see many after market accessories for them.

I have someone making an extender for the 22" for me custom, but I'm surprised that there not out there commercially.

What about this? http://cajunbandit.com/rotisserie/

I'd also buy a 'chute' like device to slide charcoal in during a cook. Some sort of 1/2 cylindrical tube sorta thing.

Hmmmmmm I never reload my wsm's , ever heard of the "minion method" ?

Would other WSM users be interested in stuff like this?

BTW, I saw on another site that someone is using a one piece funnel w/ hose that you use for transmission fluid for the water pan on the WSM. Good idea and costs under $5.00.

I haven't used water in years( stoker doesn't need water, without stoker I use sand ) but when I did I just opened the to lid and poured thru the two grates with a picture. I think after a few uses and some libations involved I see a plastic funnel melted permanently to my wsm

Eric
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
motoeric
Babbling Farker

If you can utilize the minion method to get you through the night at an event like last years WilliePallooza, clearly you have this mastered.

I'll look into the rotisserie, thanks.

Eric

Oh, and I forgot: yawn

Old 12-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
If you can utilize the minion method to get you through the night at an event like last years WilliePallooza, clearly you have this mastered.

I'll look into the rotisserie, thanks.

Eric

Oh, and I forgot: yawn
Nothing to master

Either cook in a tent with sides up(make sure at least one wall is open doh)

Or use one of these http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/2...er-Jacket.html
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Old 12-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
speedrcer1
is One Chatty Farker

Eric, When I first got my 22 I tried the Smoke-EZ on top of the 22. I think I had to use the kettle lid if memory serves me correct.
Member Purple Pork Masters Team (Team on Vacation)
Bubba-Keg [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][/FONT][/SIZE]
"New" 2000 Traeger BBQ100
KCBS 54236, Certified KCBS judge
Certified MOINK Baller
Super-Fast, Super-Non Stealthy ORANGE Themapen RIP. Now Yellow. Orange color retired.
speedrcer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I guess I am a little confused since I don't have a WSM. Isn't the whole point of the door to allow you access to refuel or add water?
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
CTSmokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

So Sled,

You do not use water or sand with your WSM when using the Stoker? Do you leave the water pan in?

"I haven't used water in years( stoker doesn't need water, without stoker I use sand ) but when I did I just opened the to lid and poured thru the two grates with a picture. I think after a few uses and some libations involved I see a plastic funnel melted permanently to my wsm"

Just curious...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff
CharGriller Outlaw with Mods,2X WSM in Comp. Mode
Weber Kettle 22" Gold, Kirkland Signature SS Gas Grill
La Caja Asadora - Caja China - Cajun Microwave 1
"Primal Meat Smokers" BBQ Team
Purple Primal Smoker Turtle!
CTSmokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSmokehouse View Post
You do not use water or sand with your WSM when using the Stoker? Do you leave the water pan in?
With my Gurus I put some wadded up foil balls in the water pan, then cover it in foil.

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
CTSmokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Dog BBQ View Post
With my Gurus I put some wadded up foil balls in the water pan, then cover it in foil.
Are you happy with the results...I guess so because you are doing it...
advantage over water, sand...?

I also Guru... Does it help with chicken?

Thanks,

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff
CharGriller Outlaw with Mods,2X WSM in Comp. Mode
Weber Kettle 22" Gold, Kirkland Signature SS Gas Grill
La Caja Asadora - Caja China - Cajun Microwave 1
"Primal Meat Smokers" BBQ Team
Purple Primal Smoker Turtle!
CTSmokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
I guess I am a little confused since I don't have a WSM. Isn't the whole point of the door to allow you access to refuel or add water?

Yes, but there's not much wiggle room. The distance between the bottom of the water pan and the charcoal grate with the ring is pretty narrow. If I was using a 'chute' sorta thing, I can place the end in the middle of the charcoal ring and then slide the new coals right into place. Otherwise, it's a pain getting them anywhere but the edges closest to the door.

It's not a big deal by any stretch, as you can simply use a stick to push the coals over, but it would be cool.

Eric

Old 12-07-2011, 03:37 AM   #12
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Eric-

I was cooking a one day "lite cook" comp earlier this year and a VP of Marketing for Weber came by to drop off some goodies to all the teams, and was shocked to see the collection of modded Weber's from myself and Family Man BBQ. Chris had a couple of his Smoker Joe Tamale pot mods, I had one of my Drum Smokers painted Red with a matching Weber lid, the Cajun Bandit Weber kettle conversion, and a 22" WSM with the Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Ring. We gave him an earful of some of the shortcomings of some of their products, and how these aftermarket products and Mods enhanced the cookers. He was genuinely impressed with what we had, but admitted that he was unaware of any of the products we had or others I hipped him to. I was really surprised to hear that! He took pics of our equipment with his I-phone and laughed "wait until the Attorney's see this!" Gas grills are their focus.

The doors of the new WSM's are designed to act as a coal chute. I'm with Sled-no need for water or adding fuel during a cook. Not interested in a chute or water can.

If you are into rotisserie cooking (which I am) the Cajun Bandit ring is the way to go!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 05:34 AM   #13
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Sounds like that Webber VP is a little wet behind the ears.

Was he barely 20? Ask him to order a bottle of wine at a dinner.. I'm not drinking that.

I'm going straight to the Whiskey!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #14
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

interesting, i was not aware of the door being intended as a chute also.

i have what i think is the newest incarnation of the WSM 22. it is an AA. the door appears to be the same as my earlier model, an AE, i think.

i will have to look when i get home to see if the doors are different and the new one could function as a chute.

as an aside, at a comp, i start my first WSM 22 @ 8PM, full load of stubbs, by 5A the next morning, if i need it to keep going, it is necessary to refuel.

i typically take the middle section with the lid on off, rake the remaining coals into a chimney, dump all the ash and reload with fresh coal.

a chute would be much, much, easier.

oh, and plus a million, no water.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #15
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

On the new doors they have tabs at the bottom corners that make it "hinge."

Thanks from:--->