Virtual Backwoods UDS, What do you think?

Ryan Abood

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Just messing around:
BackwoodsUDS.JPG

This is a 55 gal drum with a 30 gal drum set inside. The 30 gal drum has approximately 6 inches chopped off the top and sits a few inches above the charcoal basket. The 30 gal drum can be filled with water much like the water pan of the Backwoods Smokers. The smoke and heat will travel up between the 55 and 30 gal drums then down through the 30 gal drum cooking chamber and finally out the exhaust, which is situated right above the water line.

Check out other UDS's I've designed: http://www.cbbqa.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=14044

Last edited:
Interesting concept, that's for sure.

I think a detachable exhaust could be done, but unless you cut a door toward the bottom of the 55 gallon drum you're gonna have a helluva time adding fuel for a long cook.

I can appreciate innovation,but why? For innovation's sake, or does it make a UDS better? The reason a UDS is so popular is because of it's simplicity and utility. What's next, electric toothbrushes?

Cool idea but I don't see see a point in messing with the perfection that is the UDS! :p

I like it....and reverse flows are so much better in my opinion for low and slows. Such a even heat, that one just may work

Gotta admit I do like the way you think. Would it make a UDS better? Only one way to tell.

Back