MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:59 PM   #16
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickd26 View Post
I have owned a Wichita, YS480, and now own a YS640. The Wichita and YSxxx are two completely different cookers. Do you want to maintain fires, or set-it and forget-it?

Let me share my experience. I ended up selling my Wichita because I couldn't get it to run efficiently without having the perfect wind blowing into the firebox. For me, that meant spinning the cooker into the wind. Yuck. I won't go into details, but I've read where maybe things weren't designed for the greatest airflow. I ended up getting a Horizon offset and it works as expected.

Cheyenne.... Too small!!!

The YS480 is just a mini tank. I really miss the one I sold, but I did sell so that I could get a YS640. The 480 was just part of the family and I miss it.

I, personally, would buy a cheap offset just to see if you like tending fires and to learn the "craft". If you're going to spend some extra dollars, then look no further than the Yoder. Can you buy a YS640 and a Lowe's offset? That would be a really nice setup.
I'm very grateful for this feedback. I just sold a really nice offset, but it was my first time owning one and there were multiple factors working against my successful learning of how to use it. It was huge and had a gigantic vertical chamber, which meant an extra layer of complexity. Also, I bought it in December in Minnesota. Yeah. And it's been winter since! I literally had to tend fire every 20 minutes every time I used it. Now, I enjoy the romance of a little bit of fire tending, but it was nowhere near the "once an hour" I've heard so many Southern smokers enjoy in the nicer temps. It really made it hard to want to keep going. So I sold it, and am either going to downsize to a smaller offset with no vertical chamber, or go the pellet route for a while and see how that goes. I suppose if I want to dabble with the offset I could go the cheap-o route and get an OK Joe for $299 or something. That's not a bad idea. I'm definitely seriously consdiering going the pellet route for a while just to enjoy some set-it-and-forget it and get me smoking more again like I used to. But man, that is such a great deal on the Wichita it makes it a hard decision. I'd actually be spending more on the smallest Yoder pellet grill than on a loaded Wichita! So hard to pass it up.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:05 PM   #17
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMIMNAK View Post
The local dealer will deliver in our metro area for free. But I'm also paying full retail plus his shipping costs from Yoder, so in the long run, not sure how good a deal it is. I've never price shopped for Yoder's anywhere else. If anyone's familiar with typical Yoder prices from local dealers, I'd be interested in hearing how my local dealer compares.
You might consider buying from All Things BBQ. They have the YS480 for $1228 plus shipping. Shipping on my YS640 to OK was going to be around $200. I ended up getting free shipping because they had a special if I bought the black comp cart I got SS shelf upgrade and free shipping. You might ask, if they have any specials. But even if they don't you are looking at $1428, and by ordering, you won't have to pay sales tax.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-26-2018, 10:21 PM   #18
spaulding4181
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

If you have a hitch on your car you could rent a motorcycle trailer from uhaul for $15/day and pick up the used Yoder.
spaulding4181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2018, 10:38 PM   #19
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...552903098.html Go check out the smokin brothers pellet cooker
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2018, 10:46 PM   #20
Seefyre
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Chris

Time is your enemy or friend here. If you have time, keeping an eye on the local craigslist will assuredly net you a great smoker for a killer price-it just takes, wait for it.....time :)

As for the difference between pellet models and stick burners? You should really think through what you want your smoking experience to be. That answer will drive your choice.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:03 AM   #21
PnkPanther
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

Quote:
Could I use actual wood instead of charcoal, like in a stick burner?
It is not recommended, some of tried with mixed results. It's best to use charcoal and wood chunks.

So if you really want stick burner, it wouldn't be for your. It would be another charcoal cooker so might not be interested.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:34 AM   #22
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Wait, you already sold your Pearsall? Seems like yesterday we were just talking you into buying it. These kids grow up so fast...

Old 04-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #23
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

It's well known on this forum that I hate Yoder so I'll offer up an alternative at least as something for you to look into.

Check out GrillaGrills.com They make pellet grills and they also sell a ceramic cooker. Very good company with some great people and they are rapidly making a name for themselves. Their Silverbac is $700 (includes shipping) but you're only about 4 hours away (they are in Holland, MI) and you should be able to fit the box in a normal sized car or SUV. There's quite a few users on a Facebook GrillaGrills owner forum who have them in your area where it's super cold and people really seem to be enjoying them and having good success.

They also offer the "Grilla" which is a very uniquely designed pellet smoker that people love for its heat retention and how well the drafting system pulls the smoke over the meat.

Anyways, you said you were "all ears" for reasonable options and I think it's at least worth checking out before you drop double the money on a Yoder product.

Good luck with whatever you choose and there's definitely some good advice in this thread. Cheers!

Old 04-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #24
PnkPanther
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

Quote:
The local dealer will deliver in our metro area for free. But I'm also paying full retail plus his shipping costs from Yoder, so in the long run, not sure how good a deal it is. I've never price shopped for Yoder's anywhere else. If anyone's familiar with typical Yoder prices from local dealers, I'd be interested in hearing how my local dealer compares.
If you do find it cheaper online with shipping he'll potentially match, he did for me. Nothing he can do on sales tax obviously

Obviously if I found a grill not carried there or better priced elsewhere, loyalty only goes so far

Old 04-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #25
Evil-g
is Blowin Smoke!

I know your almost at your decision but if I was in Minnesota with their winters, I’d be thinking insulated Vertical
Backyard Grill 26 inch
Pit Barrel Cooker
Evil-g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #26
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Do you Q year round or are you one of them seasonal types.?

Old 04-27-2018, 02:44 PM   #27
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Old Country Brazos (1/4") and Build a UDS or a 26" Weber Kettle.......
X2...
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #28
bam
is One Chatty Farker

Meadow creek there is a dealer in New Richmond Wi. St Croix bbq.
bam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2018, 09:33 PM   #29
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
Wait, you already sold your Pearsall? Seems like yesterday we were just talking you into buying it. These kids grow up so fast...
I think it was too much too soon. And townhouse living and harsh winter didn't help. It was not much fun.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #30
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
It's well known on this forum that I hate Yoder so I'll offer up an alternative at least as something for you to look into.

Check out GrillaGrills.com They make pellet grills and they also sell a ceramic cooker. Very good company with some great people and they are rapidly making a name for themselves. Their Silverbac is $700 (includes shipping) but you're only about 4 hours away (they are in Holland, MI) and you should be able to fit the box in a normal sized car or SUV. There's quite a few users on a Facebook GrillaGrills owner forum who have them in your area where it's super cold and people really seem to be enjoying them and having good success.

They also offer the "Grilla" which is a very uniquely designed pellet smoker that people love for its heat retention and how well the drafting system pulls the smoke over the meat.

Anyways, you said you were "all ears" for reasonable options and I think it's at least worth checking out before you drop double the money on a Yoder product.

Good luck with whatever you choose and there's definitely some good advice in this thread. Cheers!
I will definitely check them out and I do appreciate the idea. I'm actually 8.5 hours from Holland, MI, though so it'd have to be a great deal with shipping.

Tags
new smoker