MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #16
Cokyjara
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I judged this event and we were all assembling when the KCBS rep got the call that the organizer didn't have the cash! Then they couldn't find the organizer anywhere before the judging began. How much of the $28,000 did they not have? Did the organizer ever show up again??
Cokyjara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #17
quarters69
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : quarters

Herd he was 9k short. And really pissed everybody off that was there. I think there's lot more to this story. Hopefully it will come out.
quarters69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
Cokyjara
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

That still would be a really nice payout, especially for a first year event! I understand the frustration. I hope this story has a happy ending with everybody understanding what really happened. BBQ is about having fun and competing to beat the next guy, there didn't seem to be much of that a couple hours before turn in.
Cokyjara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #19
stlgreg
Take a breath!

18,400 of the 28,000 was paid out.
KCBS Certified Judge #21812
FEC100
1 UDS Smoker
1 Char Griller w/o side fire box
Hog's Wart School BBQ Team
http://www.bbqsaucereport.com (43 sauces and counting!)
stlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #20
Mrs. McFrankenboo
On the road to being a farker

Will the rest of it be paid out??

Old 10-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #21
stlgreg
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. McFrankenboo View Post
Will the rest of it be paid out??
I wish i knew. I think he put in his statement yesterday that he would pay it out in 30 days. We will have to see I guess.
KCBS Certified Judge #21812
FEC100
1 UDS Smoker
1 Char Griller w/o side fire box
Hog's Wart School BBQ Team
http://www.bbqsaucereport.com (43 sauces and counting!)
stlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #22
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

I was there trying to drum up teams for my contest next week and heard more than once from guys competing that it was the "Last Annual St. Louis River Rub."

I hope they get it squared away and it goes off next year with Jimmy Buffet. It needed foot traffic and I saw little to none. There were all kinds of vendors with tents set up that were bored to tears as there just wasn't anyone there except for the teams. A headliner like Buffet would be good for that. It needed a lot more prize money, obviously. It needed more contestants. The location is great, right by the stadium, but they missed on some execution...
GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #23
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillinFool View Post
I was there trying to drum up teams for my contest next week and heard more than once from guys competing that it was the "Last Annual St. Louis River Rub."

I hope they get it squared away and it goes off next year with Jimmy Buffet. It needed foot traffic and I saw little to none. There were all kinds of vendors with tents set up that were bored to tears as there just wasn't anyone there except for the teams. A headliner like Buffet would be good for that. It needed a lot more prize money, obviously. It needed more contestants. The location is great, right by the stadium, but they missed on some execution...
That's a great idea, but Buffet is a hard 'get' or has been in the past. I'll believe that one when I see it.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #24
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
That's a great idea, but Buffet is a hard 'get' or has been in the past. I'll believe that one when I see it.
Especially after this fiasco...

Old 10-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #25
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

C'mon, really? Buffet? They couldn't get $28,000 together much less the $200,000 Buffet would need.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #26
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
C'mon, really? Buffet? They couldn't get $28,000 together much less the $200,000 Buffet would need.
Maybe Buffet really likes BBQ?
GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #27
Brewmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Maybe they meant a Breakfast Buffet.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #28
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Agreed. I'll have a hard time believing anything from this particular organizer after this.

To be fair, though, from a competitor's standpoint, they really tried to make it nice. The site sizes were upgraded and they had a lot of volunteers who were always willing to fetch water and ice for the teams.

Aside from the money thing, there was - from what I could see anyway - only a minor issue with the electric and one of the volunteers' 5-6 yr. old daughter tried to drive one of the golf carts and ended up running into one of the competitor's truck.

I think the organizer just tried to do too much and overextended themselves. That and a lack of marketing probably doomed this event.

The big lesson here, I think, is start small, gain the momentum and make sure you can do what you promise you'll do.

Otherwise you'll end up like this organizer: slipping out the back door and watching your back the whole way.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #29
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
Buffet is $800,000
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #30
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I remember hearing about this event. I was so disappointed with the STL Rib America, that I didn't want to go to this one.

Rib Anerica cost us a small fortune for that. If I remenber, it cost the 4 of us $110 to get in and have 4 half slab plate lunchs with 4 - 12oz cans of soda. That was the last time for me.

Maybe others felt the same way?

Tags
barbecue, Barbeque, bbq, contest, St Louis