Anyone familiar with Dickey's? Opinions?

Brontoburger

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We have a Dickey's Barbecue going up nearby. I'm not familiar with them. Yes, I know they are a chain but passable BBQ in southeast PA is hard to come by unless I do it myself. I'm familiar with Famous Dave's and didn't think they were too bad. Not great, just not too bad. How does Dickey's compare?

Gah! Just saw the menu. Next to RIBS it says "FALLIN' OFF THE BONE!!!" (Oh, just breathe. Don't be a BBQ Nazi. Don't be THAT guy. Some people LIKE it that way. OOOHHHHH! Go to your happy place.:shocked:)

Went there once and won't be going back. there is more smoke in the building than in the food.

I had the brisked and pulled pork. The brisket was so overcooked that it fell apart and looked like pulled brisket. the pork was OK. Girlfriend had the ribs. Not fall off the bone but I watched them pull them out of the hot box all wrapped in plastic. Considering we went at lunch, this didn't strike me as freshness. They originally forgot her sides and even after forgot her biscuit.We each had a couple sides. Beans sucked while the mashed potatoes were great. Sauces were pretty good. Our total bill for two people was over $35. To me that is way too much for what we got. Maybe your location will be better.

Last week I went to another chain called Old Carolina. A lot nicer inside and the brisket was done really good. $9 for brisket and two sides. I will be going back there again.

Ours here isn't bad in a pinch. It's not my BBQ, but it's not crock pot BBQ either.

I will never go back ... over priced, dry, chewy, and plain out lazy BBQ - if you can call it that.

Granted I am a BBQ snob ... there are very few BBQ places I will go eat at. I can do it cheaper and better at home.

It is comparable to Famous Dave's. Freshness is an issue I have noticed, so either right at open or food that is made specifically for a catering job is better. I will not go to one (too many real options around here), but if it is brought in for a work luncheon or something it is edible.

Mark your calendar for 18 months out. Go back. The problem should have corrected itself.

Dickey's sucks.

I wouldn't feed that slop to my dog. However the Sweet tea is pretty good along with the pickled Jalepenos and the soft serve ice cream. They put one up in Waco it leased less than 6 months and there aint no good BBQ in Waco except for Rudy's and it is very marginal so what dose that tell ya.

We had one here in the mall food court for about 6 months. I went once, the pork was dry and tasteless, I didn't care for the beans, but the cheddar jalapeno sausage was very good. the onion strings were good too. I think with any chain it depends who is running it, and who is doing the reheating, as good Q can be ruined while being reheated.

Dickeys BBQ - It'll push a turd and that's about all it is good for.

I have to agree with BluDawg on this one, Sweet Tea was pretty good. I also liked the onion strings they have... lastly, some of the sauces were pretty good. Meat sucked, I mean, is it edible? Yes... is it good and more importantly is it reasonably priced? Absolutely not. It's really just not worth the trip.

i went to one a couple times in Cortland, NY, which is about 40 minutes from me. first time it was ok and the 2nd time it sucked. i'm really bummed because there was a much better BBQ place across town from it that ended up going out of business. i've actually been really into writing reviews on yelp, so i'll share with you what i wrote on there about this location:

"this place has its pros and cons but i feel the cons outweigh the pros. i do like the decor and the sauce, and the free ice cream is a nice touch, and it seems like they do have some good specials. overall though i'd have to say this is the KFC of BBQ, but not as good. i've been here twice, once back in september and then once recently, and i wish i had remembered my september visit better before i came here the 2nd time. the first time i came i looked at the menu for a bit, as i did the 2nd time. their website says they have a 3 meat BBQ combo. well apparently this location does not. they have so many meats and i'm supposed to narrow it down to 2? the first time i went with the ribs and turkey combo and a brisket sandwich. for sides i got the jalepeno baked beans and the potato salad. the potato salad had a dill flavor to it that i was not a fan of. the beans i remember being good but they were very hot. not hot as in spicy but they were very warm and hard to eat. now that i think about it i did get a 3rd side, i got the mac n cheese. nothing special about it at all. it wasn't bad, but it was just very generic. i don't really remember how they ribs and brisket sandwich were, i think they were alright, but i remember picking up no smoke flavor on the turkey and i was kinda bummed about that.

onto the 2nd visit. i got there and forgot there was no 3 meat combo. this time i did not opt for the additional sandwich. i just got the brisket and ribs combo along with the jalapeno beans and this time i got the baked potato cassarole, which is really just mashed potatoes with some of the skins left in and topped with a little bit of cheese. they were decent though. i wasn't a big fan of the beans this time around though. as for the ribs, they were tender enough but the smoke flavor on them was really bitter, as if the flavor came from straight up charcoal instead of hickory wood. the brisket was a huge let down. as soon as i opened my to go box i saw a pile of chopped brisket and it hit me that last time i was there they asked if i wanted it sliced or chopped. this time they didn't ask. i got a pile of dark brown overdone dry beef that had no smoke flavor to it at all. i got a slice of pecan pie with the meal too. you can tell it's definitely not homemade but it was still pretty good. another thing i forgot to note earlier, it seems the people who were working there the first time around were a lot friendlier. i believe there were 2 women working. this time there was a guy working and he seemed like he did not want to be there, and probably didn't put as much care into the food. their website says "if it's not perfect, we don't serve it". the ribs were passable but that brisket was unacceptable.

overall i'd really give this place a 2.5. if yer on 81 and heading north, just keep going til you get to dinosaur bbq. if you're heading south, just keep going until you're out of PA and i'm sure you're bound to find something good."

Back