MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
maxwell7
Full Fledged Farker

Talking competition team

Have a newbie question! Is there , and/or is it possible , to compile a team of bbq Brethren into a competition team. Call it like it is: BBQ Brethren. It seems that with the incredible knowledge that is available here , a team might be unbeatable! Just curious.
maxwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's been discussed a couple of years ago. That's where the Brethren mentoring thread came from if I'm not mistaken. To varying degrees, this happens quite often when different folks team up to cook together.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

While it would be one hellofa team, any team is beatable on any given Saturday.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

One important note... BBQ Brethren is Phil's team. If you want to try to put together a team from the Brethren you'll have to find a different name.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
JD McGee

Swamprb and I are Brethren...we fly our brethren banner proudly right next to out team banner...btw Phil...we NEED another banner...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
One important note... BBQ Brethren is Phil's team. If you want to try to put together a team from the Brethren you'll have to find a different name.
That was what it was... we talked about using some form of the BBQ Brethren name on different weeks (but always the same) to get different cooks in different parts of the country competing every week and make a combined shot at team of the year. Under the new TOY scoring system, it would probably be easier than under the old when it was first discussed.

I think the downfalls were that a lot of teams didn't want to compete under anything other than their own team name plus the level of organization it would have taken. There would probably have needed to be one person whose job it was to schedule a team to compete somewhere in the US every single week of the year, be sure those teams paid, actually entered and cooked and tracked their results.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 08-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
maxwell7
Full Fledged Farker

Smile competition team from BBQ Brethren

Obviously some major obstacles! I like the BBQ Brethren banner concept. It puts the group out there for people to see. It's also good to see the K.C. folks posting. I'm in Il.now for 20 plus years , but born and raised in Independence , Mo. I spent lots of years at the American Royal with family and show horses. Had an uncle with several Grand Champion Apps.Bryant's BBQ in KC was a favorite stop.!!Take care guys!
maxwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell7 View Post
Have a newbie question! Is there , and/or is it possible , to compile a team of bbq Brethren into a competition team. Call it like it is: BBQ Brethren. It seems that with the incredible knowledge that is available here , a team might be unbeatable! Just curious.
Here's the problem with an all star team. We all have our own ways of doing things and would get into each others way always saying I do that a little different. I found from experience that one cook is the best solution and I think mny top teams feel the same way.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Here's the problem with an all star team. We all have our own ways of doing things and would get into each others way always saying I do that a little different. I found from experience that one cook is the best solution and I think mny top teams feel the same way.
I agree with you, Ford. I hate to let go of any category!
KCBS Member #14287

Old 08-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
voodoobbqIL
Full Fledged Farker

I agree the challenge would be the old saying "too many cooks", I like the concept of showing the colours or wearing the threads and meeting Brethren at comps, and most importantly helping get new ones into the group
Ole' Hickory CTO /
large BGE
2 x Weber 22.5 One Touch Silver (red , black)
Weber Smokey Joe
Char-Broil Gas Passer
voodoobbqIL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoobbqIL View Post
I agree the challenge would be the old saying "too many cooks", I like the concept of showing the colours or wearing the threads and meeting Brethren at comps, and most importantly helping get new ones into the group
Amen!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 08:13 AM   #12
Swinebuck
On the road to being a farker

We did this one year at Memphis In May. This event is so expensive, about $2000.00 that small individual teams would not even apply. I posted an invitation on the forums for members of other teams to join us and compete in one of the categories other than pork. One cook did beef, another fish, a third hot wings. We all had a great time and they got to participate in a world championship event they could not afford by themselves.
Thanks
Mike
Swinebuck
http://www.toosaucedtopork.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Too-Sa...5995846?ref=mf
Swinebuck is offline   Reply With Quote