MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Default Weber Paint

Just scored a wood handled SJS. Haven't taken delivery yet, my buddy is bringing it by tonight. Previous owners painted the lid white, but left the base black. Does anyone know if JASCO brand, or similar paint remover will damage Weber paint? I'd really like to return this girl back to her original beauty, I just don't want to destroy the original paint.

Matt

Old 02-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

i would try mineral spirits , I think JASCO will be a little to strong
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
mbshop
Babbling Farker

the original weber coating is porcelain. purty tough stuff so a light paint remover should do fine. maybe find a test spot thats not visible just to make sure.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_matt View Post
Just scored a wood handled SJS. Haven't taken delivery yet, my buddy is bringing it by tonight. Previous owners painted the lid white, but left the base black. Does anyone know if JASCO brand, or similar paint remover will damage Weber paint? I'd really like to return this girl back to her original beauty, I just don't want to destroy the original paint.

Matt
Weber does not "paint" their kettles. It is a porcelain enamel finish.

You CAN strip the paint without removing the factory finish. You may dull it, but you can polish that out. It is very durable.

As always, whatever you use, try it on a small area first, to make sure it is okay. But, from my experience, removing paint from an old Weber is not that hard. the factory finish really is very tough.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the replies. I took delivery yesterday. It's a "N" date code, and she is in great condition. The dust on the lid, in the photo, made it look like it was painted white. All I have to do is apply a little grease, and she'll be as good as new.

My Grandson saw it, and excitedly proclaimed, "Look grandpa, a teeny tiny cooker!!" He then claimed it as his, and well, we all know that I am no longer the owner of a 1991 SJS!

Matt

Old 02-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Nice score!!! i've got a SJG with a "P" date code from 1993 i picked up off of CL. Looks like yours is even older.

Mine needs to be cleaned up but here it is:

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
el_matt
Babbling Farker

She looks nice, I like the handle.

Yeah, I scored in a big way. Out of the blue, my buddy sent me a picture, asking if I wanted it. His brother didn't want it anymore, and was just gonna throw her away! I didn't even hesitat. Next thing I know, he texts back and says he'll bring it over in a day or two.

I hesitate to put her in my signature, being that my grandson(greatest grandson in the history of grandsons)called dibs as soon as he saw it.

Matt

Old 02-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

I still have one that we got for a wedding present in 1979!
Humphreys Battle Box
Chargriller Akorn, Akorn Jr.
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfisch View Post
I still have one that we got for a wedding present in 1979!
That's awesome!

Matt