logo

PK Grill Vs Weber 22" Kettle?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
In the market for a basic everyday grill and after some advice pretty much have it down to one of these two.
Never used either and will end up adding grill grates regardless of which one I get. I am sure some on here have compared them or been looking at these two before.

The PK classic suffers from many design shortcomings that the PK360 has (mostly) cured.
The PK 360 has many advantages over a Weber 22 inch kettle but costs 5-6 times as much. I would stick with the Weber for a sub $300 grill but if cost was no big deal I'd get a PK 360 for sure.

From the little I know, the PK is the better option but not the cheaper one. You can cook good food on both.

start out with the Weber, lots of accessories and solid techniques
I'd like to get a PK 360 for the history and novelty myself

I’d take a 22 kettle any day over the Classic PK. Especially if you go w/ a One Touch kettle.

So guess its between the PK 360 and Weber 22", although I will used this almost daily not sure I can justify the price difference although its still cheaper than the Kamado Big Joe option I was considering.

I recently was able to buy a slightly used PK 360 and absolutely love it. The rectangle grate just seems easier to manage cooks and maximize space when grilling and smoking. I've got Grill Grates on my PK and they are steak searing machines. As for low and slow, I find the venting system simple to use and can dial in 250 with ease. The only negatives vs. a kettle are: 1) Not as easy to clean ash, 2) Assessories are more limited (i.e. no rotisserie etc.), 3) Price

Weber kettle. PK Classic is a bit small imo. That being said I have never used a PK. It just looks small.

PK Grill Vs Weber 22" Kettle?

How many people do you cook for on a regular basis and do you enjoy entertaining? What has not been discussed is the 26.75” kettle. If that’s on the table for discussion I would take that any day over a PK-anything! :)

I've been a Weber man for better than 30 years, but I bought the PK 360 just before Christmas because they had a decent sale and I had some overtime $$ to spend. It's a really nice grill. REALLY nice. The temperature stability is amazing, and I feel I have better control on it than I did my Weber kettles. It may be because it's new, too, and I'm in my honeymoon period with it. I can tell you my wife and I both think the quality of the food I've been cooking has gone up since I started cooking on the PK 360.

I also have an old vintage aluminum the size/shape of the PK Classic, except it opens on the long side, not the short side. I really like the way this thing cooks too - great for quick burgers, but I've made some banging roast beef for sandwiches on it too.

If you can swing it - I'd go with the PK 360.

I've been a Weber man for better than 30 years, but I bought the PK 360 just before Christmas because they had a decent sale and I had some overtime $$ to spend. It's a really nice grill. REALLY nice. The temperature stability is amazing, and I feel I have better control on it than I did my Weber kettles. It may be because it's new, too, and I'm in my honeymoon period with it. I can tell you my wife and I both think the quality of the food I've been cooking has gone up since I started cooking on the PK 360.

I also have an old vintage aluminum the size/shape of the PK Classic, except it opens on the long side, not the short side. I really like the way this thing cooks too - great for quick burgers, but I've made some banging roast beef for sandwiches on it too.

If you can swing it - I'd go with the PK 360.

If the PK360 were only bigger... >500 sq”... I’d have one sitting in my backyard. How many people do you cook for on a regular basis. My biggest concern is that the size of PK360 would not be adequate for my day to day grilling. Assuming no friends or family are over, I cook for 9 every night.

If the PK360 were only bigger... >500 sq”... I’d have one sitting in my backyard. How many people do you cook for on a regular basis. My biggest concern is that the size of PK360 would not be adequate for my day to day grilling. Assuming no friends or family are over, I cook for 9 every night.

On a regular basis - it's just me & my wife but I cook 4 meal at least - dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow. Once in a while it's a couple more people, and I think this will be OK for that too. If not, I'll crank up the smaller aluminum grill. 9 people on a regular basis might be a trick. I totally agree - if it were +/-500 sq inches - I'd have bought one sooner.

I have & use-both grills. I started my whole grilling / smoking journey with a Weber 22 around 35 years ago. As stated above you can't go wrong with either one. The PK is a steak cooking machine & with a few accessories you can grill / smoke anything on it; however, that is also true with the Weber.
For 2 people the PK is perfect, you use less charcoal, it has a smaller foot print & is portable. I Love it. The Weber is able to cook a little more food for a larger group. I like the PK nuances better & use it more often.

Bang for the buck = Weber
Money not a problem = PK

I meal prep and will cook several meals at a time. I also like to entertain so now leaning towards the Weber, seems there are more accessories for the 22" than the 26".
Regardless of what I get I will be adding Grill Grates for steak cooking.

For basic grilling you can't go wrong with the Weber kettle. I've been using one for almost 50 years (not the same one!) and it's still the go to for any direct cooking.
I used to use it for smoking but have graduated??? to the Lang and BGE for those cooks.
Consider how many Webers you can buy for the cost of just one PK360.

I meal prep and will cook several meals at a time. I also like to entertain so now leaning towards the Weber, seems there are more accessories for the 22" than the 26".
Regardless of what I get I will be adding Grill Grates for steak cooking.

If you go the kettle route, besides the GrillGrates, which accessories are you thinking you’d like? I have a 26.75 kettle and use the GrillGrates for 95% of my grilling. The other accessories i have, although I really like them, don’t get nearly the use I thought they would. In my opinion, GrillGrates and a Vortex make the BIG kettle tough to beat as far as versatility and just good solid grilling performance :)

My vote would be for Weber kettle 26. Very rare to hear someone wish they had less space to grill.

I would add a slow n sear to it. This creates a space big enough to smoke a brisket or spatchcock a turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you go the kettle route, besides the GrillGrates, which accessories are you thinking you’d like? I have a 26.75 kettle and use the GrillGrates for 95% of my grilling. The other accessories i have, although I really like them, don’t get nearly the use I thought they would. In my opinion, GrillGrates and a Vortex make the BIG kettle tough to beat as far as versatility and just good solid grilling performance :)

+1

You can honestly get away with just a set of baskets. I have done the same recipe of wings with a Vortex and with charcoal baskets pushed together. I hate to admit, but they turned out exactly the same.

I own all of the aforementioned kettles (22, 26.75, PK).

I'll say if you find a cheap 22...Maybe go that route?
If you want a cooker to perform well and last a lifetime...get a PK.
My favorite cooker? Hands down...Weber 26.75. I use it far and away more than any other cooker I have. I've actually had to put it in the garage to force myself to use the other grills on the side of my house.

Back