MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Nomo4me
On the road to being a farker

Default Question for you Weber Kettle Gurus

Hi All
So I've outfitted my weber performer with their gourmet searing grate. I've yet to cook on it but temps are in the '50s today and the urge is there

As recent empty nesters I'm just cooking for the two of us and curious about cooking on this thing using a minimum of briquettes.

To that end please tell me what you think of this method - I haven't tried it yet.

I think this method might be effective with kabobs? We'll rarely eat steak, but do you think a single layer this close to the searing grate will sear a couple of 8oz steaks? Will flare ups be more of an issue with briquettes this close to the grate?

Let me know what you think. It will be 5 days or so before I need to bbq again and looking forward to input here from the old hands.

1. Baskets are moved out of the way and the chimney with X amount of briquettes is started over the propane assist.

2. Baskets are put back in place, then the "other" grate that came with the gourmet system over them, then the briquettes are placed over that grate in a single layer.

3. Then the searing grate is placed over the baskets and allowed to heat up.

Nomo4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

It will provide enough heat for a short period of time, which should work fine for kabobs. I find a double layer of charcoal tends to be a more efficient heat source. I believe you are on the right track though. Remember also, that once you are done cooking, if you shut all the vents, the charcoal can usually be reused as a base layer for the next cook.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Nomo4me

I've read with the Performer this isn't so much the case with air being able to enter via the hole around the gas pipe.

I'll look for some hanger steak this week and try grilling both steak and kabobs and see how the single layer works out. If this method will allow me to cut briquette usage by 50% that would be pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
It will provide enough heat for a short period of time, which should work fine for kabobs. I find a double layer of charcoal tends to be a more efficient heat source. I believe you are on the right track though. Remember also, that once you are done cooking, if you shut all the vents, the charcoal can usually be reused as a base layer for the next cook.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Corky
is one Smokin' Farker

My Performer shuts down quickly when closed. I get much use out of my charcoal.
[SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue][B]Blue[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] Weber Performer
[COLOR=Blue][B]Blue[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen (Fastest in the West!)
[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="Magenta"]拉猪肉[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]509 BBQ Crew[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
Corky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky View Post

Me too, no problem there but I do find that the used stuff does not burn as hot.

That is a nice fancy grate you got there but I must say that I wonder about the ability to actually cook a steak that way. I just use the regular grate. I start with my lit coals pushed all the way to one side.

With them real hot I sear my meat on both sides then move it off the heat to the other side and put the lid on. The temp usually goes up to 500+ and I just watch for the internal temp to reach 135.

Perfect steaks every time.

Good luck with your performer. I would never be without one.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have been cooking on my 22.5 kettle since 1995. I finde that the only wy to do small cooks on it with limited charcoal use is to pile your caharcoal in one part of the grill. For me, that means puting the hot coals on one side of the grill. If you want to use the CI grate in the center of your grill, you will need to load up the center of the grill with hot coals.

Start your coals in a chimney starter, between 1/2 and 2/3 of a Weber chimney full, and dump it in the center of the grill. It will be more than one layer thick. That should give you a good hot cooking surface.

It will also give you a cool zone around the outer ring if things are cooking fasteer than you want.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Hunterman95
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky View Post
Same here. I always have leftover coals to use, I just add fresh to it to get max heat out of it.

I don't know if a single layer would work or not. I like to get my fire rip-roaring hot for a nice sear. I would think a single layer would be starting to die off by the time you got the CI hot enough. But maybe not.

Heck, you just spent $300+ on a charcoal grill, don't start goin' cheap on us now! LOL

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
Nomo4me

Maiden voyage on the Performer is tomorrow. I got a lb of ground lamb spiced up with per Reichlin's Kebbeh recipe and ready to go on the skewers. Got some endive that will be sliced in half and hit with EVOO and grilled face down.

When I have my buds over I will want lots of horsepower, but it will be interesting to see if I can do kabobs for two with an elevated single layer. Maybe not. We'll see.

I'll post a pic to this thread tomorrow night after cooking.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

I'd just load up your two baskets and put em together over the burner. I get great sears on a couple of steaks like that, even with the stock grate.

Webers are great grills and I'm all for being frugal. However, I'd suggest focusing more on buying big bags of charcoal for small amounts of cash.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Not to mention that the cooking grate insert won't stand up to direct contact with coals for too long.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
Hunterman95
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Russell View Post
Webers are great grills and I'm all for being frugal. However, I'd suggest focusing more on buying big bags of charcoal for small amounts of cash.
And wait for a 1/2 price sale, then stock up!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #12
Nomo4me

This is my first season using Charcoal. When is it HD has their sale on the blue? Costco's $4 off coupon on two bags of K-comp is good starting tomorrrow, but it's still spendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterman95 View Post
And wait for a 1/2 price sale, then stock up!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #13
Hunterman95
is one Smokin' Farker

Memorial Day. Last year HD had 2 20lb bags (40Lbs) for just under $8.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #14
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Man, no shortage of answers here.... I don't try to scrimp on the briquets cause I know I can reuse them. I would rather have a hot fire that I can control with vents vs. a little fire with no potential. Geez, I think that sounded a little philosophical. Sorry!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #15
Nomo4me

Thanks for the replies. I decided there was no valor in fighting city hall so loaded up the baskets and let the propane light 'er up.

Reichlin's recipe for Kebbeh (spiced ground lamb skewers) was awesome - my Wife dug in and said it was easily her favorite thing I've yet cooked. They were darned good!

I slow-timed some split endive and eggplant slices around the periphery of the searing grate then centered them for a quick sear before taking them off.
A couple of minutes after the food was off and the vents shut I decided to go back out and toast a pita for my wife over the coals. Nothing doing, they were starved of oxygen and were dark and giving off a nasty smell. That confirmed for me that the Performer will shut down coals pretty quickly.

My first Weber kettle voyage and I was happy as a pig in poop

Tags
weber kettle methods