• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mad Science Experiment - Fatties

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'm doing two experimental fatties this weekend.

I got an idea earlier this week to add some Tender Quick to some regular Jimmy Dean and make a fatty out of it. I have no idea what this would be like, and searches came up with nothing. So I figured what the heck, I'll give it a whirl.

What I did for the Cured Jimmy Dean fatty was take a 2 pound roll and mix in 4 teaspoons of Tender Quick. Then I put it back in the fridge to cure. It will cure about 36 hours before it hits the cooker.

The other experimental fatty did not occur to me until last night when whipping up some beef sausages and thinking about this weekends fatties. My mind drifted to corned beef hash for some reason. I'm not a huge fan of corned beef hash, but I do like it now and then. It hit me that I may be able to make a Corned Beef Hash Fatty.

What I did was take a pound of 80/20 Ground Beef, and mix in the following to make it Corned Beef flavored:

1 tbsp Tender Quick
1 1/4 tsp Brown Sugar
1/4 tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp ground Bay leaves
1/4 tsp ground Allspice
1/8 tsp Garlic Powder

I put this in the fridge to cure for at least 24 hours. Before putting it in the cooker I will dice up some potato and onion and mix this into the meat. Then I will roll it out into a tube and cook up like a fatty! I'm thinking I'll probably apply a rub just because I can't think of a good reason not to.

If that works, the next sep is to stuff it with swiss cheese and sour kraut and make a Reuben fatty!

If that works, the next sep is to stuff it with swiss cheese and sour kraut and make a Reuben fatty!
I am so tempted to chance it and go pick up the ingredients for that right now. I love reubens. I would probably add caraway seed and glaze with a coarse brown mustard.....droooool

This man is officially insane, some one call the psych hospital, they gotta be missing someone.

Next thing you'll hear him create is a sauerkraut and onion filled kielbasa

I am so tempted to chance it and go pick up the ingredients for that right now. I love reubens. I would probably add caraway seed and glaze with a coarse brown mustard.....droooool
Damn Man that does sound good!!!

This man is officially insane, some one call the psych hospital, they gotta be missing someone.

Next thing you'll hear him create is a sauerkraut and onion filled kielbasa
He may be a crazy SOB but he's our crazy SOB!!!:mrgreen:

out of the box it where it's at!

some people are stuck not only in the box, but in a sphere in the box and they don't even get any corners. quite a predicament indeed.

salute! :biggrin:

How well does 1000 island set as a glaze?

How well does 1000 island set as a glaze?
Shoot. I don't know. I have no data on 1000 Island as a glaze. Besides, all I have on hand is Paul Newman's 2000 Island Dressing. Since it has twice as many islands as all the other dressings it probably would behave differently.

How about a "Philly Phatty"

Ground beef, grilled onions, green peppers, and cheeeese.

Nate

Not such a bad idea really. I am cooking 3 other fatties this weekend, 2 JD regular with just rub on them, and 1 stuffed with chiles, cheese and sun-dried tomatoes and rubbed with chili powder. Hoping to hit kind of a chili-cheese theme with that one, even though it's JD regular breakfast sausage. I didn't really consider those other 3 experimental though, so I didn't mention them initially.

I fried up a sample of the Jimmy Dean with Tender Quick to see how it tastes. It was salty, not too salty, but definitely salty. Almost as salty as Spam, but not quite. It turned a nice pink color throughout and the flavor was different, either because of all the added salt or the curing, not sure which. I am thinking I will add in some Maple Syrup to counteract the saltiness before rubbing it and putting it on the Smoker!:razz:

The fatties are on. The cured Jimmy Dean wnet on a little over an hour ago, and the Corned Beef Hash one went on about 20 minutes ago. I did not get a photo of the cured one, but with the rub it looked no different from a normal fatty. I did not put rub on the Corned Beef Hash fatty after all. Here's a pic of the Corned Beef Hash Fatty.
Corned_Beef_Hash_Fatty.jpg

Back