MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:36 AM   #16
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

In your opinion, do you need to burn the wood chunks/coal along with the pellets to get a quality smoke profile compared to straight sticks?
I've been thinking about adding a smokedaddy to my vertical cabinet. For quite some time actually. Heck, I've done just about everything else to the cabinet. Adding the smokedaddy for the ease of smoking jerky, fish etc at 160*.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #17
KClandcruiser
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

Looks like quite the monster! You sure are putting out some great looking food. Have you tried putting the chunks on the bottom of the basket and charcoal on top? That could potentially help with the flame spreading
KClandcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #18
charcoalwilly
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post

In your opinion, do you need to burn the wood chunks/coal along with the pellets to get a quality smoke profile compared to straight sticks?
I've been thinking about adding a smokedaddy to my vertical cabinet. For quite some time actually. Heck, I've done just about everything else to the cabinet. Adding the smokedaddy for the ease of smoking jerky, fish etc at 160*.
I’d love to see in action on that vertical cabinet!

Yes. I compared running pellet-only versus the combo pellet + charcoal & chunks and found that the combo was closer to straight sticks in terms of penetration of the smoke, smoke ring, and color. All subjective of course.

The charcoal & chunks in this case are not adding much heat, just flavor. They only last for several hours, which from everything I have read is when the meat absorbs the most smoke (i.e., when the meat is cold).

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #19
charcoalwilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KClandcruiser View Post
Looks like quite the monster! You sure are putting out some great looking food. Have you tried putting the chunks on the bottom of the basket and charcoal on top? That could potentially help with the flame spreading
That is good suggestion . I will try it out

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #20
Gimmethecash

Name/Nickname : Steven

The horror...

Glad it’s working out for you, looks like it’s producing some good results. I’m in the opposite camp - I’m a pyro since day one & recent stick burner convert. I really look forward to starting a fire & watching it burn, baby burn. Now I get to play with fire year ‘round, not just the few months it’s cool enough at night here to justify a fire in the fireplace.
Cookshack Amerique
Gimmethecash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #21
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

I love it. I havnt quite considered myself "not a stickburner" guy but I dont seem to use it all too often. Very good idea and great execution
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #22
charcoalwilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmethecash View Post
The horror...

Glad it’s working out for you, looks like it’s producing some good results. I’m in the opposite camp - I’m a pyro since day one & recent stick burner convert. I really look forward to starting a fire & watching it burn, baby burn. Now I get to play with fire year ‘round, not just the few months it’s cool enough at night here to justify a fire in the fireplace.
Pyros definitely better suited for stickburner LOL. There is something primal about a pile of wood burning down to embers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrogers84 View Post
I love it. I havnt quite considered myself "not a stickburner" guy but I dont seem to use it all too often. Very good idea and great execution
Thanks Jrogers!

Old 04-19-2019, 02:17 PM   #23
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Nice post. I'm probably never going to be a pellet guy, but interesting project.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hybrid, pellet smoker