Pig spit

thisandthat

Found some matches.
LbLGa95ZRdMgcyJt9

Hi,

I've done a couple lambs which have been amazing.

First time I've ever attempted a pig. I think I'm going to have a 30-40 lb pig.

Any suggestions on how to do a open top spit with a pig?

The lamb I stuffed with lemon, and herbs, based the outside with oil and herbs, and let it rip. Pretty basic but it was amazing.

Any tips?

Thanks

Jon

I've only spit roasted a lamb and a pig once for each, so I'm by no means an expert, but - and it may be more important for the pig than the lamb due to fat content - but I had the fire a little off to the sides with a drip pan down the middle to catch the drippings & so the drippings don't fall into the coals, ignite and catch the pig on fire.

Also I cooked the pig to a lower than normal temp, i.e. not all the way to pulling temps 'cause it seemed if we took it that far the pig would have just fallen off the spit. Most of it was pull, there was a little chop, and it was all delicous. Gonna be doing one at the end of the summer and can't wait.

Cool rig btw!

This is my first and only from a few years back. Like GTR mentioned, its best to put the coals to the side, and drip pans underneath.

Two other tips: you need way less charcoal than what you think. By the time mine was at a safe temp, the skin was burnt. Really wanted good skin, but that did not turn out that great.

The other tip is to tie it on super good and tight. Mine started flopping a bit, which basically made me nervous for hours waiting for things to fall apart. Much less enjoyable experience because of that.

P.S. just saw the lamb pic. That rube goldberg gearing setup is awesome!

Last edited:
Thanks.

I wanted it to look like a monster and fun to watch. Had a bunch of parts laying around...eye balled it and it works.

So far no one has lost fingers.

Thanks.

I wanted it to look like a monster and fun to watch. Had a bunch of parts laying around...eye balled it and it works.

You got ninja skillz then. No way I could eyeball gearing and get it right. With my luck Id end up with 500rpm at the spit.

Check this out: [ame]https://youtu.be/MuLhte7_48k[/ame]

Anyone have any clue on the cook time. I'm thinking longer then a lamb, but I'm not sure.

45lb or so.

Time to get a river.

Thanks.

1) So what are you powering it with?

2) What's the final drive ratio? :wink:

Back