Cochinita Pibil, the begining

Kevin

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Kevin's Cochinita Pibil

I've been studying recipes for Cochinita Pibil for a couple of years. Rick Bayles and Steven Raichlen offer some good ones. There are even some interesting videos on Youtube. Most of them involve wrapping the pork in banana leaf and roasting in a pit. I've been making this with various methods and what follows is what I did today.

The cast of characters:
Starting with the red brick at the top and going clockwise we have 3.5 ounces Achiote paste, 1 teaspoon Cumin seed, 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, 1 teaspoon Mexican Oregano, 1 teaspoon black pepper corns, 5 cloves Garlic and a medium white onion quartered. From the bottles at the top I will use 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar and ¾ cup Naranja Agria (bitter orange juice).

Marinadeingredients.jpg

7 pound pork butt.

Butt.jpg

This ones for Poobah.

Moneymuscle.jpg

Roast the onion and Garlic in a dry skillet until you get a little charring on all sides.

Toastingtheveggies.jpg

Roast the Cumin seed in the dry skillet until you can smell the oils begin to release.

ToastingtheCumino.jpg

Grind the pepper corns, Oregano and toasted Cumin with a mortar and pestle. I put the salt in there too. The grit seems to speed up the grinding process.

Grindingthespices.jpg

Put all of the marinade ingredients above in a blender and puree to a smooth paste. Don't put the pork butt in the blender, it won't fit.

Blenditup.jpg

Remove most of the fat cap and make small slits all over the pork to allow the marinade to penetrate.

Areate.jpg

Place your pork in a non reactive vessel and slather the marinade all over it.

Inthemarinade.jpg

Cover and refrigerate overnight.

That's all for today. The pork will be wrapped in banana leaf and into the pit about 8:00 PM for an overnighter. Hope I remember to post the results:p.

I'm very interested in how this come out, Kevin! Thanks for the detailed pictorial. I wonder if injecting some of the marinade into the butt would help?

lookin good - I ate this dish every day I was Playa del Carmen:-D

Wow Kevin, you are doing that right- down to the sour orange! I am a long time student of Rick Bayless and he would thumbs up this one.

Wow that looks fantastic. How hard is it to find bannana leaves? I assume since you are from Minnesota that you aren't pulling them off the tree out back.

Wow that looks fantastic. How hard is it to find bannana leaves? I assume since you are from Minnesota that you aren't pulling them off the tree out back.

That's for sure. There is a little Mexican grocery just down the block that has them frozen.

Nice post Kevin, that sure does look good. I suspect that Smokejumper and I need to go steal some banana leaves soon.

Time to get cooking. Layed out the Banana leaves.

BananaLeaves.jpg

Managed to move the butt from the marinade bowl to the leaves without a farking fwoosh.

Buttonleaves.jpg

Closed it up and secured with bamboo sticks.

Wrappedup.jpg

And into the pit.

Intothepit.jpg

We'll see what tomorrow brings:wink:.

i never thought about using sour orange. i always have used regular o.j.. but then again i have had some of the marinades come out watery and not having the citrus kick that i want out of the pibil flavor. but little ol' me also likes to throw a few serrano peppers and some cilantro stems into the food processor to. so maybe the flavors compete too much. but pibil makes me cry with tasty.

There are even some interesting videos on Youtube. Most of them involve wrapping the pork in banana leaf and roasting in a pit.

I built a brick fire pit in my backyard with this dish in mind. Bayless did an episode on how to build a pit for this dish on his show "Mexico, One Plate at a Time" and I had to be a pit groupie . I can't wait to see your final results!

I suspect that Smokejumper and I need to go steal some banana leaves soon.
Steal some Zong Zi off the cart at Ton Kiang? Hell Yeah! Or the last bag of those gems out of my freezer? :nono:

And it's done. Let it go for about 9 hours at 225*. That was too long. It's a little dry but still has excellent flavor. I've got this week off from work so I think I'll try it again later in the week.

The banana leaves look very dry on the outside.

DSCF0488.jpg

But still moist inside.

DSCF0491.jpg

Blurry porky goodness.

DSCF0496.jpg

This didn't suck.

Nice thread with good photo documentation - thanks.

What criteria did you use for the time/temp? Did you ck internal temp along the way?

Nice thread with good photo documentation - thanks.

What criteria did you use for the time/temp? Did you ck internal temp along the way?

I did not, should have though. I just put it in the cooker and let it go overnight. Next time I will do this during day time so I can track internal temp.

Looks great and thanks for the post!

Couldnt really tell from the pictures...was it a boneless butt?
Do you think removing the fat cap contributed to the dryness?

Oh yeah, I'd hit that hard and twice on Sunday!! Looking dang good!

Bob

And three times on Monday!! :-D

That looks so good ..... Thanx for sharing the recipe with us......MMMMMMM.....mmmmmmmmmmm

Back