MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Default NSF rating on items

I don't get it when the nsf words are on some thing. Does this mean you don't need to clean the item? Example I've ate lunch at Bryants in KC, these folks use a meat slicer which I'm gussing has a NSF rating on it, I never see them remove the slicer and clean it, heck my $14 clone thermopen has a nsf rating on it as well. Does this mean I can just use the thing all day and not wash it? All's I know is these things are rated for food, so is my pop can, plastic fork ect. They still get washed.
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Your local health dept determines how often you clean equipment. Slicer probably end of day if it's in constant use. Thermapen or any other temp probe that goes in food is every use with an alcohol wipe.

NSF means it's approved for food prep and serving and not how it's used.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Always wash everything. Bleach and hot water makes for a happy health inspector.
[B]The BBQ Equipment Store[/B]
[URL="http://www.BBQEQUIPMENTSTORE.COM/?sourceCode=bbq-brethren"]www.bbqequipmentstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR=red][B][COLOR=red][B]Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling[/B][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR]No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
Goin Que Que
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBBQ View Post
I don't get it when the nsf words are on some thing. Does this mean you don't need to clean the item? Example I've ate lunch at Bryants in KC, these folks use a meat slicer which I'm gussing has a NSF rating on it, I never see them remove the slicer and clean it, heck my $14 clone thermopen has a nsf rating on it as well. Does this mean I can just use the thing all day and not wash it? All's I know is these things are rated for food, so is my pop can, plastic fork ect. They still get washed.
Not to hijack, but where did you get your clone thermo?

John
Goin Que Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Que Que View Post

John
There's no such thing as a clone Thermopen. A clone is exactly a like. There are cheap knock-offs but there is NOTHING like a Thermapen...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
Goin Que Que
On the road to being a farker

I have a thermopen but by accident left it in the rain. I dried it out and re-calibrated it but I don't think it's the same. Just looking for a cheaper version.

John
Goin Que Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:

John
Lowes, http://www.lowes.com/pd_280609-13471...%3Dthermometer
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
I have a thermopen but by accident left it in the rain. I dried it out and re-calibrated it but I don't think it's the same.
John
I'd give Thermoworks a call, they have great customer service and may fix it for free or a small fee...no hijack intended :)
HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Not to hijack the hijack, but BRBBQ, check here. http://www.cookingforengineers.com/a...-Certification
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote