MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:02 AM   #16
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with JD.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 06:50 AM   #17
AginAustin
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMAJ View Post
Depending on the sugat content of what you are using to baste the ribs that may be a little early -
I just rub them then smoke them, rarely do I ever sauce them but when I do it is in the last half hour.

4 hours doesn't seem long enough for spares - is that what you are cooking? Foil or no?

Now - take what I say for what it's worth - I don't compete but I have fed my fair share of folks....

Good luck.

L-M
We were basting with Sticky Fingers - Carolina Sweet. I liked the flavor but I feel that we may have put too much on the ribs since you couldn't taste much else. I have some Blues Hog Sauce on order that I really want to try.

The 4 hours was straight pit time. No foil.
AginAustin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 07:02 AM   #18
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I always pull the membrane. as for Blues Hog, I know alot of teams use it, I kinda think it has a strong flavor and needs diluted , not my favorite sauce. for some reason I really like Stubbs original. but thats just me..

good luck!!

Sal
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #19
TexasAggie97
Full Fledged Farker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I really like Blues Hog, but, find it too thick. I tend to cut it with bourbon or apple juice, I prefer bourbon....
This.

I find the Blues Hog at HEB regularly. I've also used the Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet on some wings we did for the Utah St game, they turned out real good. Haven't tried them on the ribs yet but will be doing some for the OSU game. Stop by the tailgate if you make it to the game, you are more than welcome to join us.
UDS X 2 (More on the way...)
TexasAggie97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #20
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AginAustin View Post
I've been browsing the forums the last few days until my account was activated so I've learned quite a bit from you guys. I'm currently on a cookoff team and we've done decent in our last 2 cookoffs...well here it goes...
1. Regarding the bend test/toothpick test to see if your ribs are done, are these tests used for competition ribs? If so, I'm sure that will help our team out since our ribs usually don't turn out really tender
2. How is the blues hog sauce? It seems to come pretty highly recommended here...I've been thinking about buying some to try on our competition ribs.
3. Is it pretty much a concensus that competition ribs should be trimmed to St. Louis cut? We have been pulling the spares out, seasoning them, and throwing them on the pit membrane and all.

Thanks in advance,
AginAustin
I think it never hurts research a lot. Here is some good reading to get you started. Virtual Weber Bullet
Blues Hog? I have used it in the past. I know a lot of teams have and do use it. As far as sauce goes, it does not fit the flavor profile that I prefer. Some do well with it in competition. I noticed my scores were better when I used my sauce. In the past I have used B.H., Head Country, 4 men and a pig, and many more, but I do better with my own. Now, I'm not knocking B.H. sauce, and Bill Arnold is a friend and one of the nicest people you could ever meet. What I am saying is.....you try it and you decide. But also remember, in competition you are cooking for the judges, not your taste.

Trimming ribs Trim them up tight and St. Louis style for a KCBS comp. You'll have better appearance scores. Leave the bones in, and learn to cut them without any jagged edges(invest in a good quality sharp knife). Removing the membrane is a personal thing, as far as in KCBS comps? remove the membrane.....if you don't, your score can be affected.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425

Last edited by River City Smokehouse; 09-26-2009 at 04:02 PM..
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #21
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AginAustin View Post
We were basting with Sticky Fingers - Carolina Sweet. I liked the flavor but I feel that we may have put too much on the ribs since you couldn't taste much else. I have some Blues Hog Sauce on order that I really want to try.

The 4 hours was straight pit time. No foil.
Another great reason to leave the membrane on.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #22
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

I remove membrane.
I don't foil (tried it didn't like it)
I cook spares 5-6 hours at 230-250

I baste the last half of the cook every 30 minutes with apple juice, white grape juice, etc...

I don;t put sauce on until the very last 30 minutes or so.

I like to the taste of smoked pork, not so much sauce.