Why dry brisket?

watg?

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have a techno cook question, Alton Brown where are you?
What make a brisket come out dry, not moist, when sliced? Good flavor, tenderness, texture, just dry. Is it over cooked, under cooked, rested too long, not long enough? Is it something that can be avoided or is just the luck of the draw, win some, loose some, dependent on the cut you are working with.
Thoughts?

Short answer: It's a brisket!

Are your brisket consistently dry or just now and then?

Dry is usually, but not always, a result of overcooking.

Back to the short answer: It's a brisket. They are probably the hardest of the BBQ meats to get right consistently.

If your tenderness is good, then probably just a lean brisket, not much fat marbeling to give you that juiciness you'd expect.:cool:

Don't worry buddy, it happens all the time. But it could be many things.

There should be a form for this.

QUESTIONS

Flat or Packer
Trimmed and How?
Average Temp you smoked at
Type of smoker (uds, offset, static diverter, tuned diverter, what?)
How did you Prep it (Marinades Injections)
Fat Up or down
Any pit temp problems arise
DID YOU PEEK AT THE BRISKET APPROXIMATELY 40 TIMES EVERY HOUR TO LOOL AT IT...
How did you determine its doneness (Temp or Feel, Look, sound, yes sound)
What was in the Rub
any extra rub applied at certain times
Foil, no foil, pan, plastic wrap, butcher paper, pan, box, paper bag
Separate the Point?
Rest, no rest, how'd you rest.

We need details and then there's the rare case that I see from time to time where you THINK its tender, and you THINK it had good texture because you just compare it to everybody else's or some winner at a competition and the truth be told its not Tender and does not have good texture.

fOR EXAMPLE - I have had SEVERAL people call me with this problem over the years and popping it in foil or a pan in the OVEN at 300 for 2 hours or so seemed to fix it. Guess why. The person cooking it swore up and down it was "dry."

I have a techno cook question, Alton Brown where are you?
What make a brisket come out dry, not moist, when sliced? Good flavor, tenderness, texture, just dry. Is it over cooked, under cooked, rested too long, not long enough? Is it something that can be avoided or is just the luck of the draw, win some, loose some, dependent on the cut you are working with.
Thoughts?

Are we talking about a brisket flats or whole packers? No one brisket is the same. Results are dependent on many factors such as: fat content, cooking temperatures, and knowing when a brisket is done, after all a brisket is done when it's done. If you pull it too soon, its going to be tuff. If you pull it too late its going to be dry. Resting times are important, but knowing when to rest the finished product is the challenge-after all a brisket is done when a brisket is done...:lol:

If your brisket is tough and dry and isn't falling apart, it is undercooked.

The perplexing thing for me is, I cook 2 packers and a flat at a contest. I trim, prep and cook them all the same. I usually end up with one moist flat at turn in time.(for which, I am certainly not complaining) Sometimes it is from the packer, other times not. Seems like I should be able to at least get two and why not three to be right. Just trying for consistency. I just cant figure out why. I keep coming back to 'its just the cut', but that answer would be too easy.

It is NOT the Cut. Pm me if you want. I use cheap Select, sometimes petite little 8 pounders are put on the pit with mammoth 16 pounders.... mine all come out the same (or rather maybe one tough one out of 20 or 30 that were cooked that day and that gets turned into chopped.

I agree. I can think of 20 or more varibles. If they were included on every thread we may not have enough band width. :lol:
Don't worry buddy, it happens all the time. But it could be many things.

There should be a form for this.

QUESTIONS

Flat or Packer
Trimmed and How?
Average Temp you smoked at
Type of smoker (uds, offset, static diverter, tuned diverter, what?)
How did you Prep it (Marinades Injections)
Fat Up or down
Any pit temp problems arise
DID YOU PEEK AT THE BRISKET APPROXIMATELY 40 TIMES EVERY HOUR TO LOOL AT IT...
How did you determine its doneness (Temp or Feel, Look, sound, yes sound)
What was in the Rub
any extra rub applied at certain times
Foil, no foil, pan, plastic wrap, butcher paper, pan, box, paper bag
Separate the Point?
Rest, no rest, how'd you rest.

We need details and then there's the rare case that I see from time to time where you THINK its tender, and you THINK it had good texture because you just compare it to everybody else's or some winner at a competition and the truth be told its not Tender and does not have good texture.

fOR EXAMPLE - I have had SEVERAL people call me with this problem over the years and popping it in foil or a pan in the OVEN at 300 for 2 hours or so seemed to fix it. Guess why. The person cooking it swore up and down it was "dry."

I agree. I can think of 20 or more varibles. If they were included on every thread we may not have enough band width. :lol:

Is that Band Width as in thiis?

View attachment 26764

Pitmaster "T" and his father's Radio Console. Frankenstein to the right (Collins 74 A)
Circa 1968

Last edited by a moderator:
my last contest, I cooked 2 packers trimmed, both turned out tough, how in the HEdouble-hockey-sticks did that that happen. I injected it too,

Back