MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:52 PM   #3481
helljack6
Knows what a fatty is.

That avatar looks way pathetic to have swiped any fatties.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #3482
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Oh no brother...I have to watch him like a hawk!!! Innocent...NO, he is a theif!!!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2009, 06:53 AM   #3483
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Helljack I have your address and will send it out at 8:00 a.m. sharp and will overnight it. Free of charge. Only thing is maybe you could send it off to another brother if they need it or keep it, it's up to you.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2009, 07:22 AM   #3484
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Really nice and thoughtful of you Skidder to do that for a Brother. Kudos to you. Everyone needs a drum.

Here is my Drum #2.

Three vents:
1 is a 1/2" nipple
1 is a 3/4" nipple
and 1 is a 1" ball valve

On the first drum I found that 1 - 3/4" nipple was too much and a full open 3/4" valve on the riser was not enough to maintain temp.

Did the first test cook/season yesterday and that 1" valve in conjunction with the 1/2" nipple worked great. Here's what we had

Some burnt ends, my first, the pit seasoning basic fatty and a tube steak for the little boy.

This doesn't show well, but here is the pic of the thermometer at 250*

and a close up of the found in the trash Weber Top, with the edge pounded flat and then rounded over to fit the drum. Works like a charm.

Maybe some ribs today.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #3485
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Very nice work there Smokin' D! I tell ya these things are fantastic I haven't used my WSM since I built mine. I'm working on another as we speak.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #3486
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
Very nice work there Smokin' D! I tell ya these things are fantastic I haven't used my WSM since I built mine. I'm working on another as we speak.
bob
another one?! how many you going to bring to southwick?

i'm with you on how great these are. you may see a wsm on craigslist soon!

richard
great looking drum there. you did the same thing i did with a donor weber lid. works great!

Old 06-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #3487
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Scott I'm with ya on that. I think mines going up for sale also. I should have two UDSers at Southwick.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #3488
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' D View Post
Really nice and thoughtful of you Skidder to do that for a Brother. Kudos to you. Everyone needs a drum.

Here is my Drum #2.

Three vents:
1 is a 1/2" nipple
1 is a 3/4" nipple
and 1 is a 1" ball valve

On the first drum I found that 1 - 3/4" nipple was too much and a full open 3/4" valve on the riser was not enough to maintain temp.

Did the first test cook/season yesterday and that 1" valve in conjunction with the 1/2" nipple worked great. Here's what we had

Some burnt ends, my first, the pit seasoning basic fatty and a tube steak for the little boy.

This doesn't show well, but here is the pic of the thermometer at 250*

and a close up of the found in the trash Weber Top, with the edge pounded flat and then rounded over to fit the drum. Works like a charm.

Maybe some ribs today.
Nice lookin' pit bro! I need to get some paint on mine pretty soon...what did you use on yours? It looks brushed on...I like it!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #3489
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Nice lookin' pit bro! I need to get some paint on mine pretty soon...what did you use on yours? It looks brushed on...I like it!
Thanks. It is brushed on paint. I used Rust-o-leum High Temp paint.
Got it at HomeDepot. $12 or $15 bucks for a quart. Painted two drums three coats each and there is still enough left for one more barrel. Cheaper and a better look than an amateur spray job, plus the volatiles are a lot lower than the spray can stuff. Also its available in any color you want, as long as that color is Black!
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #3490
helljack6
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
Helljack I have your address and will send it out at 8:00 a.m. sharp and will overnight it. Free of charge. Only thing is maybe you could send it off to another brother if they need it or keep it, it's up to you.
Pay it forward brother, pay it forward. It'll go to the next brother that needs it after me.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #3491
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' D View Post
Thanks. It is brushed on paint. I used Rust-o-leum High Temp paint.
Got it at HomeDepot. $12 or $15 bucks for a quart. Painted two drums three coats each and there is still enough left for one more barrel. Cheaper and a better look than an amateur spray job, plus the volatiles are a lot lower than the spray can stuff. Also its available in any color you want, as long as that color is Black!
Cool...did you sand and prime first...or just sand?
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #3492
Draven Q Smoker
Found some matches.

First time builder here. 233 pages down... parts acquired around page 150. Scored a barrel off of Freecycle, used to hold chocolate. Out of curiosity, I ran the wire wheel over the lining, and it's coming right off to the bare metal. Barrel pron to be coming a little further into the build, and expecting to do a Frankenstrat type paint job after the first cook.
Draven Q Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #3493
ComputerMike
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven Q Smoker View Post
First time builder here. 233 pages down... parts acquired around page 150. Scored a barrel off of Freecycle, used to hold chocolate. Out of curiosity, I ran the wire wheel over the lining, and it's coming right off to the bare metal. Barrel pron to be coming a little further into the build, and expecting to do a Frankenstrat type paint job after the first cook.
Remember, no pics, it didn't happen.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #3494
ComputerMike
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CostaRican View Post
I want a weber lid to increase capacity on my UDS. I cant find one anywhere but I was in walmart and saw a uniflame kettle for 40 $. It would be worth it if I could recycle the food and charcoal grate into a 2nd UDS....what do you guys think? Are the parts sturdy enough?
UDS 2 and 3 will have a Charbroill lid (see pic). For the barrels I found they are a perfect fit. use whatever works. I'm using the grates for my baskets and the handles as well. I paid $30 ish for each used.

I don't like the cheapy vent that they use but I might block off the vent with a circle of metal and go with drilled holes like a flat lid which will remove any hot spot problems or try a large chimney as close to center as possible. Maybe cut out the chimney hole using the old vent location.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #3495
helljack6
Knows what a fatty is.

Default So mad.....

I measured my barrels this weekend while I was plotting where various holes are going. My barrel diameter is 23 1/2" so I need to come up with something for a modified dome lid. I've seen it before where you could just buy replacement weber kettle lids but I can't remeber where it was. HELP!!!! LMAO.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker