Buckboard Bacon

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
A post 10 or 12 days ago and some input from Kevin gave me a yearning for another batch of buckboard bacon. This was the best one I've done in years. Just wish I could remember what I did different :cool:

This was done with the Hi-Mountain Cure

51838747.jpg

30b8fd71.jpg

c0df139b-1.jpg

d658533f-1.jpg

Wow, those slices look awesome in the pan. Bet they tasted better than they look. Great work 3rdeye.

Man,thats some great looking bacon.you wonder what it would cost at the store to get something that looks that good if you could even fined it.i'm thinking i got to try my hand at making some of that.was it hard to do?

Hiloboy said:
Man,thats some great looking bacon.you wonder what it would cost at the store to get something that looks that good if you could even fined it.i'm thinking i got to try my hand at making some of that.was it hard to do?

It is very easy. The cure time is 8 to 10 days for a butt.. The smoker time was 3 or 4 hours. Pork is cheap in Wyoming now, butts are $.99/pound. Including the cure, I figured the cost for this 7 pounds of bacon was $1.25/pound. You can also use a loin or a tenderloin and it comes out like Canadian bacon. Cure time for them is only 4 to 6 days. Here it is a tenderloin smoked and sliced for frying. I'm thawing a loin right now to smoke next weekend.

ff33a3ac.jpg

1b30387d.jpg

Click Here to go to Hi Mountain's bacon page. Then scroll down to the botton, click on "Instructions". On the page that comes up, the bacon instructions are listed. There is plenty of pictures.

That looks great thirdeye. Think I'll thaw out a bag for dinner tonight.

.......... looks terrific and has me pumped up to give it a try. Thanks for the link, if you get good results with their cure, then that's what I will use.

BTW ... almost any decent camera in the past few years has no real problem with White Balance ..... even set to Auto. The question is whether you took pics in a 'mixture' of light (like fluorescent and natural) at the same time. Gray cards are great ... and I use them ... but seldom for this type of pic with decent ambient light.

Regards,

Hey thirdeye when you remember what you did make shure to let us know.PLEASE

Kevin said:
That looks great thirdeye. Think I'll thaw out a bag for dinner tonight.

Thanks Kevin. I was slicing it for the freezer, it's too habit forming to have in the fridge. I lay out slices on wax paper until frozen then bag them together. Then I can use only a few at a time.

It's something I need to do more often, like making chicken broth or smoking hocks for the freezer.

we'll smoke u said:
Hey thirdeye when you remember what you did make shure to let us know.PLEASE

Well, I did use maple this time for flavor. Usually I go with apple and cherry. It was a cold day and I set my guru up to hold 180° for about 90 minutes, then bumped it to 200°. That's all I can come up with. Maybe that longer time at lower temps let that wood flavor in better. :?:

I used no rub and I still pulled it right around 150° internal....but that is normal.

thirdeye said:
Thanks Kevin. I was slicing it for the freezer, it's too habit forming to have in the fridge. I lay out slices on wax paper until frozen then bag them together. Then I can use only a few at a time.

It's something I need to do more often, like making chicken broth or smoking hocks for the freezer.

That's funny. I do the same thing. Usualy a 2 butt or a butt and a loin per batch. Smoke em, cool em, slice on the meat slicer, freeze on wax paper, then bag. Too much work cleaning up the meat slicer to do a smaller amount.

And a note to all. The Hi Mountain cure is just fantastic as is. An excellent blend for anyone. I like to mess around and do a last minute rub with brown sugar or maple syrup among other things, but it's not at all neccesary, just the experimenter in me.

Q_Egg said:
.......... looks terrific and has me pumped up to give it a try. Thanks for the link, if you get good results with their cure, then that's what I will use.

BTW ... almost any decent camera in the past few years has no real problem with White Balance ..... even set to Auto. The question is whether you took pics in a 'mixture' of light (like fluorescent and natural) at the same time. Gray cards are great ... and I use them ... but seldom for this type of pic with decent ambient light.
Regards,

The pic of the whole butt with a couple of slices missing on the white board had only been chilled a few hours. I had that butt in the freezer until it iced up before slicing when I took the pic on the black board. That could be it, or would the background make the color difference, or was it all lighting?

i am going to have to try that one of these days! i love bacon.

jgh1204 said:
I have to disagree with the pork loin coming out like Canadian Bacon. I don't like Canadian Bacon and I love pork loin done as Buckboard Bacon. My family much prefers the pork loin over the pork butt.
------------------------------------------------

interesting point. I just bought my first Buckboard Bacon cure and two butts last night (after seeing this thread). One butt is in the cure and frig right now ... decided to go ahead and smoke the other today. I'm going to try a loin and the cure and learn some more .... (and I like Canadian bacon).

Thanks,

My two cents

I do the buckboard bacon with a maple flavor and i will also do it with apple.

With the maple after it comes out of the cure and rinse I make a fifty/fifty mixture of water and maple syrup and inject the butt. I'll then rub the outside with about a tablespoon of syrup and then put it in the smoker with maple wood in the cooker. I've done the same thing with apple juice instead of syrup and apple wood in the smoker.

First time I did this, my significantly better half took one bite lookedd at me and asked "Are you sure this is legal?" I am a huge fan of Buckboard Bacon. I just wished I had discovered it sooner.

Rick

ricksegers said:
I do the buckboard bacon with a maple flavor and i will also do it with apple.

With the maple after it comes out of the cure and rinse I make a fifty/fifty mixture of water and maple syrup and inject the butt. I'll then rub the outside with about a tablespoon of syrup and then put it in the smoker with maple wood in the cooker. I've done the same thing with apple juice instead of syrup and apple wood in the smoker.

First time I did this, my significantly better half took one bite lookedd at me and asked "Are you sure this is legal?" I am a huge fan of Buckboard Bacon. I just wished I had discovered it sooner.

Rick

Rick, that injection sounds really good. I have two half-loins to prep tomorrow and maybe will try this on one for a side-by-side test. I'm also going to pass that information on to a buddy who is trying the dry cure for the first time. He has only done brine cures. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Thirdeye, on your site you show loins being smoked one is peppered the other maple. How do you do the maple? Also where so you get the high mountain seasoning?

Thanks,
Brian

Back