MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Shoes
On the road to being a farker

Default Smoking fish on a UDS.

What are proper temps for smoking fish. Ive read 140 somewhere. I dunno if my drum can burn that low and not burn out. Do you think I could run a drier vent from the stack to a cardboard box?
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

I usually smoke it at about 200' but I'm also cooking the fish as well. If you wanna just smoke it to preserve I think temps have to be much lower, almost a cold smoke and for a long period of time like they did in the old days in smokehouses. You could also cold smoke it using the coffee can and soldering iron setup. It's gives smoke without any heat. I used a similar setup last weekend while smoking some cheese. Worked great. I've not yet cold smoked fish for preserving so I can't steer you on that, but I'm sure someone will chime in. Paging cowgirl....

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

It depends if you want to cold smoke fish or hot smoke fish. When hot smoking fish most has a finishing temp of around 140*...some 135*.

Just run the drum as low as you can if you want it to have more time in the smoke but just concern yourself with the finishing temp of the fish.

When cold smoking cured fish the temp of the smoker should be well below 100*...prefer around 70-75* for cold smoking salmon.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I cold smoke fish in my smokehouse usually around 65 to 70F.
In the drum I cook the fish until flaky.
You probably could run a hose from your air outlet to a cardboard box (or any container) with no problem.
Are you planning on curing the fish at all?

Good luck with what ever you do!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

When I did salmon in my smoker, I went about 190 for 3-4 hours. It wasn't a UDS though. Haven't tried it in the UDS yet.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
JamieK
On the road to being a farker

I hot smoke my salmon in an electric big chief, it runs at 180F. I only like smoke on my fish for the first 2 hrs, then remove the pan and finish till fish is firm usually another 4 hrs for about 6 hrs total, but depends on how thick the fillets are.

I will try using the UDS(currently building) this summer to experiment with smoking some fish, in August I usually smoke about 20+ salmon, but I like how my big chief performs, so will probably stick with it.