MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
jon s
Knows what a fatty is.

Question What the heck happened?

I got a five pound pork butt. Rubbed it on Friday night. Threw it on the Vision Kamado grill at 7:00 am Saturday morning. The temperature was at a constant 225-250 degrees throughout. After six hours, the probe hit 195 degrees. i stuck a fork in it to confirm and it seemed easy to turn.

Took the pork out of the grill and wrapped it in aluminum foil and left in sitting for an hour in the oven. I took out the pork and pulled it. While very tasty, the pork was undeniably tough and dry. What the heck happened?

jon s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds like it wasn't ready throughout. The piece of muscle you stuck the fork in might have been a little pullable, but perhaps the rest wasn't there.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

I would say it was not done with those times and temps.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
aawa
Babbling Farker

Was undercooked. like the other 2 above said!

Old 03-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Next time use a long probe that will go to the center of the roast. If there is resistance, you will need to cook it more. How did the temp probe feel going in when you checked temp? If it did not feel like going through soft butter, like everyone else said it wasn't done.

You will want to try and get away from relying on temp to tell when a piece of meat is done. With the larger pieces of meat we cook, the feel of the meat will be your best indicator. Every piece of meat will have different fat and collagen content and will cook differently. Temp can be used as a guideline for when to start checking to see if the meat is done. If you have any left, put it back in the oven to finish cooking it.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ

Last edited by Pyle's BBQ; 03-25-2013 at 06:43 PM..
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

Jon, if this is any consolation......I did a chuckie on my weber. No snow on the ground but wind HOWLING......Cooked all afternoon till It reached 195....felt "close enough". When I went to pull it was like a freaking old boxer glove......AWFUL.....stuck it in the oven for an hour more and it helped but still not where I want it.....Point being (as I learned) wind and especially cold wind can really suck the heat from a cooking device......I'll know better next time!!

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
landarc

First off, 195F internal temperature means nothing relative to the meat being done. The fork test is not always accurate, as Bigabyte mentioned, you might have stuck a part of the butt that was ok, but, the rest was not. At the temperatures and times you mentioned, I would seriously doubt you were done cooking.

If you must use an internal temperature, which is a good way to start, measure to 190F only to determine when to test. Use a method, with a butt, such as wiggling the bone, or if there is no bone, then reach on in there, grab the roast and pull it in half, it it resists, leave it in there. There will only be one of two results doing this, it resists, stop and cook some more; it gives easily, remove and rest. Probing and forking a butt () are unreliable. There is no substitute for the getting in there are feeling that butt.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

for pork butt, the bone is your indicator, slide it out when it's done. if it resists, let it stay in and give it more time to finish.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon s View Post
I got a five pound pork butt. Rubbed it on Friday night. Threw it on the Vision Kamado grill at 7:00 am Saturday morning. The temperature was at a constant 225-250 degrees throughout. After six hours, the probe hit 195 degrees. i stuck a fork in it to confirm and it seemed easy to turn.

Took the pork out of the grill and wrapped it in aluminum foil and left in sitting for an hour in the oven. I took out the pork and pulled it. While very tasty, the pork was undeniably tough and dry. What the heck happened?

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 160 in the breast.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
jacksedona
Take a breath!

did you have a bowl of water in the smoker to keep the humidity up?

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

Old 03-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
jon s
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksedona View Post
did you have a bowl of water in the smoker to keep the humidity up?

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

nope... I read that was not really necessary with pork butt.

Thanks for all the others for their remarks... Going to try it again this weekend...
jon s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

When i probe mine, i got all out alien style probing, ill stab it at least 6 or 7 or 8 times in different spots. If ANY spot has resistance, it stays in. And it doesnt really loose much juice either.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
First off, 195F internal temperature means nothing relative to the meat being done. The fork test is not always accurate, as Bigabyte mentioned, you might have stuck a part of the butt that was ok, but, the rest was not. At the temperatures and times you mentioned, I would seriously doubt you were done cooking.

If you must use an internal temperature, which is a good way to start, measure to 190F only to determine when to test. Use a method, with a butt, such as wiggling the bone, or if there is no bone, then reach on in there, grab the roast and pull it in half, it it resists, leave it in there. There will only be one of two results doing this, it resists, stop and cook some more; it gives easily, remove and rest. Probing and forking a butt () are unreliable. There is no substitute for the getting in there are feeling that butt.

^ +1 on this method.......
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #14
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is keep going. The temp is X. The color is X. Its been X hours. It "should" be done. Probe, probe, probe. Then if you got one, wiggle your bone.

Easy fellas, easy. Just let it go.

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 02:50 AM   #15
VoodoChild
is one Smokin' Farker

As the others have said ... Temp is just a Gauge on when maybe to check but I have had butts go to 210*f before they felt right or bone pulled out.
1- WEBER RANCH KETTLE
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote