Usage of the word Barbeque

bmonkman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Taken from the BBQ calendar I have on my desk:

"Barbecue" can mean a style of cooking, a way of eating, and what's being eaten; the word is used as a noun, verb, and adjective. To wit: I barbecue, my barbecued barbecue at a barbecue.

- Kelly Alexander, slate.com

"Way of eating" doesn't work for me. The other two are, unfortunately, too vague for me, but have become common usage.

To the point of usage, if no wood is involved it is not, and should not be allowed in any commercial venture to be called BBQ.

I have always thought BBQ to be a style of cooking with wood. From that stems two types of BBQ direct and indirect. Well... And that's it lol. Never thought about it any farther. From what I understand the word barbeque is the result of merging of 3 nouns. Bar, beer, and Que. Started obviously in a bar with guys playing pool drinking cold beer. Cooking food over wood coals is medieval but they just came up with a cooler name.

We're going to a barbecue this weekend.
I own a barbecue.
I barbecue most every weekend.
Lets go out for barbecue tonight.
They all work

From what I understand the word barbeque is the result of merging of 3 nouns. Bar, beer, and Que. Started obviously in a bar with guys playing pool drinking cold beer. Cooking food over wood coals is medieval but they just came up with a cooler name.

I've heard that too, but it turns out the word is MUCH older than that. From the Online Etymology Dictionary:

barbecue (n.) 1650s, "framework for grilling meat, fish, etc.," from American Spanish barbacoa, from Arawakan (Haiti) barbakoa "framework of sticks," the raised wooden structure the Indians used to either sleep on or cure meat. Sense of "outdoor meal of roasted meat or fish as a social entertainment" is from 1733; modern popular noun sense of "grill for cooking over an open fire" is from 1931.

You need to get up to date on your calendar. That's from Jan 22! ;)

EDIT: Jan 21st was better: "All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat... I'm trying to impress people here, Lisa. You don't win friends with salad." -Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Back