So you want that perfect smoke ring

BayoustateBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
For guys wanting that perfect smoke ring. Some of you have seen my 1/2" smoke rings. I was taught by an old timer to always put the meat in straight out of the fridge and don't oil the food. Never knowing the exact science just knew it worked time and time again. Finally i have found an interesting read some of you may enjoy the science behind it:

http://www.genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/smokeParticles.html

Most of this stuff is common sense, but I live reading about the science of it all! Thanks for sharing!

I interesting article. There is all kind of fancy scientific words behind BBQ now. I learned a few months ago that food gets that wood smoked flavor for
Guaiacol. Alot of people use tender quick to enhance smoke rings, but it leaves a eyeliner look if done too much. This article holds true. When I was a little kid, I remember my great grandpa, grandpa and uncle who all BBQ'd burning wood down to coals for clean fires and shoveling them in. They would season up the brisket and leave it in a pan on the tabletop with nothing more than the air conditioner keeping it cold. One would think bacteria right? Nobody ever ever ever got sick. Interesting that they always got a nice smoke ring on their food even though they were cooking direct. Turns out they had a little secret of their own that I'm sure alot of teams prob also do. Sausage seasoning with cure. Put it in the shaker bottle, and just sprinkle a little over the meat side of the brisket and season as usual, some of the most beautiful smoke rings you have ever seen and no eyeliner. The cold meat in the fridge works too. We mainly employ this method Because the briskie usually only takes 5-6 hrs till done. Good article though. Another good one I read a while back was about briskets and evaporative cooling (the stall) and how they recreated the stall with a sponge inside a smoker.

Interesting, thanks for the link.
He did his experiments at 225F-230F, I wonder how well it works at higher cooking temperatures?

Good article, I learned a lot from this one. " Knowledge is power". Thanks

Back