• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BGE Alternative

Blutch

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I want a great big BGE, but just can't afford it. I have a UDS that I made, but I want something better. What are your suggestions for something in between? Bubba Keg Cooker? Do they work as well as the ceramic ones? Close? Is there a discount ceramic cooker? They had some at Sam's for awhile, but I haven't seen one in a couple of seasons. Looking for suggestions. Thanks! B

Char-Griller AKORN. $299 at lowes. Double walled, insulated kamado style cooker. No mods needed, smokes at 250-275, can sear and bake upto 700. Love mine, its really efficient. Put 4lbs of lump in, and can smoke 12-14hrs at 250-275.

Bubba Keg (Now Broil King Big Steel Keg) is a very good cooker. Even more frugal on fuel than the BGE according to a friend who has both. The price has increased considerably, though they're still $200 or so less than a BGE. Kamado Joe is similarly priced. The Vision Kamado is ceramic... Doesn't seem to be quite the quality of the BGE or the KJ but I have not inspected one closely. There are Vision owners on this forum who might respond. The Acorn is less than half the price of a BGE and has many fans... It's not the same build quality but, for the price, it can't be beaten.

Char-Griller AKORN. $299 at lowes. Double walled, insulated kamado style cooker. No mods needed, smokes at 250-275, can sear and bake upto 700. Love mine, its really efficient. Put 4lbs of lump in, and can smoke 12-14hrs at 250-275.

Second this suggestion, it's done everything I wanted from smoking, grilling and pizza.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Another vote here for the excellent Chargriller Akorn. I've used it a lot for nearly 11 months now and have had no negative issues. It is loaded with features and is a fantastic bargain.

I saw the Akorn at Lowes and wondered if it was any good. Nice to hear it works well. I wish it were bigger, but for $300 it is a bargain. I might get one tomorrow.. I have two butts to cook and was thinking of doing the turkey on the smoker on Tuesday. Thanks! B

I saw the Akorn at Lowes and wondered if it was any good. Nice to hear it works well. I wish it were bigger, but for $300 it is a bargain. I might get one tomorrow.. I have two butts to cook and was thinking of doing the turkey on the smoker on Tuesday. Thanks! B

If you get a Kamado style grill/smoker. Check out this site http://kamadoguru.com/index.php

Not as busy as here but it is definitely full of Akorn / BGE / Kamado Joe / Bubba Keg users.

I have a Bubba Keg. My son used it today to smoke his first brisket during a wind advisory with gusts of up to 57mph, and a wind chill factor of 24*F. It held rock steady for a hot 'n fast cook at 325* for 5 hours. Miserly on lump, with plenty left over for the next cook. If money were no object, I'd get another Keg. If money was a consideration, I'd go with the Akorn. Can't beat it for the price.

I suppose if you have your heart set on a Kamado style cooker and the Big Green Egg isn't in your budget, then all of the above mentioned pits should do you fine.

But if I may suggest a 22" Weber Gold or Performer then get a Cajun Bandit Kettle conversion with a Rotisserie Bundle kit AND a Rib-O-Lator you will be set till the next doomsday prophecy!

Ok.. let me throw a wrench in the works.. the Akorn and the Weber Smokey Mountain is the same price. I can get one at our local Bass Pro.

Pros and Cons?

Thanks for all the opinions!

B

Ok.. let me throw a wrench in the works.. the Akorn and the Weber Smokey Mountain is the same price. I can get one at our local Bass Pro.

Pros and Cons?

Thanks for all the opinions!

B

Two different animals. WSM=smoker and does it very well. Akorn= Smoker (250-275) and kamado grill (700) ideal for pizzas. Tough call. I was in your shoes last May. I chose Akorn for versatility. Good news is, you can't go wrong. Both are great!

If you are looking for a smoker get the WSM. If you want something that can smoke and grill get the akorn.

Personally id get the wsm and a weber kettle.

What is your budget? The Big Green Egg is expensive, but there are several options that you should consider as well as the Akorn. The Kamado Joe Classic, which is the same size as the Large Big Green Egg comes with cart, side tables, ash tool, and grill gripper for $799, which is about $300 less than the comparable BGE. You should also look at the Vision Classic that is available through Costco (I believe). It's an excellent ceramic kamado and it rings in a little less than the Kamado Joe.

What exactly are wanting: a grill, a smoker, a combo grill and smoker?

The UDS is a great smoker so I'm curious what you didn't like about yours that you want improved? If you don't like a UDS, I can't see how you will like a WSM. If you want to grill/smoke on a budget, get a Weber Kettle. If you want to grill/smoke/sear(700F+) on a budget, get the Acorn. You can step up in quality, size, and/or features if you have a bigger budget to work with by going with a ceramic komado.......but I'm unsure you gain functionality.

So what and how are you wanting to cook?

Back