MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #166
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Thank you, thank you.

Yeah we were surprised that for the entire cook the temps from end to end only fluctuated by about 4 degrees on average...blew our minds. I want to start making some backyard models..make them look really pretty (and as efficient as this one)..sell them at a more affordable price for those who don't want to throw away 3k on a good cooker..we'll see how it goes though.
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #167
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ View Post
Thank you, thank you.

Yeah we were surprised that for the entire cook the temps from end to end only fluctuated by about 4 degrees on average...blew our minds. I want to start making some backyard models..make them look really pretty (and as efficient as this one)..sell them at a more affordable price for those who don't want to throw away 3k on a good cooker..we'll see how it goes though.

I admire the aspiration. Do you have a supply source for steel at wholesale prices?

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #168
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I do know a few wholesalers. I'm going to do some more research and see what I can come up with on the business end of things. I may apply for an LLC and dive right in! There's a demand for affordable quality! I think I can wedge my way into the market! It's a pipe dream for now but I will be doing my homework..In the meantime, we'll keep chugging away on this project. I can't wait to finish it.
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!

Old 05-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #169
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Haha. We haven't thought of a name yet. We'll have to think it over..all I know is that it's a girl!

Yeah the gloss on our paint is good but we are going to strip it down and do it again. Try to get a smoother coat. Here's what we used. Had Sherwin Williams order it for $97 a gallon. Took these shots just for you!

Attachment 64290
Attachment 64291
How many gallons of paint did you use?
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #170
RX2006JE
On the road to being a farker

Anyone had any experience with the Flame control paint on a single wall fire box? I am going to give it a shot and see how it preforms. Anything has got to be better than the crapolium 1000 deg stuff. The sherwin williams here ordered me the 850 series in black and it was $67/gallon.
RX2006JE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #171
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

We used one gallon..it covers something like 500 sq ft.

I wouldn't try the 850 series on a single wall firebox. It's rated at 850 but it doesnt make it that far. You'll probably get some flake on the box.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #172
RX2006JE

where did you get the mineral wool for insulating the firebox?

Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #173
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2006JE View Post
where did you get the mineral wool for insulating the firebox?
Just your run-of-the-mill local supply house. You can find it online with a quick google search too. It's pretty cheap.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #174
Crazy Tex
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Quote:
From industrial insulators, guys that insulate boilers and the like. You could probably find someone in the phone book, look under insulation or insulators.
Man.. I've been looking for some of that mineral board... can't find any locally. Was going to put some under the top of my firebox and help save the paint (when it gets there)

Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #175
Crazy Tex
Full Fledged Farker

ooh.. nevermind.. I found it.. http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Roxul-AFB--1003.html

Not local, but it's cheap enough!

Last edited by Crazy Tex; 05-10-2012 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: hit post too quickly.
Crazy Tex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #176
Crazy Tex
Full Fledged Farker

Ok... another question.. did you just insulate the sides and top, but not the side where the door is or the one side that is closest to the cooking chamber?

Old 05-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #177
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

id say the mineral board is easier to use but id go with ceramic wool..its much more heat resistant..the door wasnt double walled and the end by the chamber wasnt either. those ends were not insulated but everything else was.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #178
RX2006JE

here is some ceramic wool that is 1" thick not too bad on price
http://woodheatstoves.com/ceramic-wo...ch-p-9474.html

Old 05-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #179
Crazy Tex
Full Fledged Farker

Actually the guy at that website said the mineral wool was rated to 2200&#176;.. if I get anywhere near that hot with the firebox... I'm in trouble.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #180
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

that's some good mineral board! On a large smoker, I wouldn't go less than 2"

A smaller backyard rig would be fine at 1-1.5"

Tags
jambo clone, offset build, Offset smoker build, smoker build, smoker clone build