Entry fees

S

slat

What type of entry fees do you guys pay that compete? Also would like to know if the fee is for local or sanctioned event.

$175 to $350. Sanctioning doesn't seem to make a lot of difference - but then we don't do unsanctioned events. Most 4 meat events probably average $200-$250. Sauce, dessert, Anything But are usually extra - $25. These prices represent the KCBS and FBA events we've been involved with.

Another couple of thoughts:

The entry fee is only the tip of the iceburg. A normal (regional trip) for Southern Brethren usually runs the "team" $500-$700 plus personal expenses.

Example:

Entry fee: $250
Comp meat: $100
Charcoal/propane: $50
Breakfast Food/Drinks/Ice: $50

Then we get to: gas for vehicles, possible motel (we're cheap and don't do this), road meals, etc.

Don't forget: trailer, cooker(s), wood supply, condiments, rub ingredients. And: adult beverages (again, we don't do this much), Friday night party food.

If you do MIM events: special tables, decorations, fences, canopies, mimes & dancing girls (kidding).

I hope you get the idea - the entry fee is a small part of what it costs to go out and play. We usually get out for $250-300 each but we're are cheap and sleep in the trucks a lot! Though Tim's motorcoach is a nice recent addition - but the expenses go up a bit due to fuel costs.

Please don't get discouraged with the costs. Sometimes it's cheaper. The best way to control cost the first time out is to pick an event fairly close to home (day trip distance) and avoid motels, restaurant meals, etc. Also, and this sounds bad, don't drag the wife, kids, kids best friends, mother-in-law, etc. - that really runs up the room & board $$$. :D When my wife goes I usually take the camp trailer and generator - she refuses to sleep in the truck or on a lawn chair at the site and WILL NOT use a porto-potty! :mrgreen: It's either that or she day trips over on Saturday morning to help with box prep and such.

Now if you have deep pockets all these rules are off! (Yes, Phil, I'm talking about you! :D)

I just paid $350 for grillkings and $250 for Ashbury park.

Meat costs first? Depends on how you want to go. if your happy with minimal meats and hope for the best on a single butt or brisket, then...

ribs 30 bucks for a 3 pack.
butts 10 bucks each.
brisket 15 buck.
package of chicken 10 bucks.
$65

Some incidental food, pack of burgers and buns, Few heads of lettuce for turn in.... a few sodas, sleep in the truck or tent, and your set. Use one cooker, or WSMs and 40lbs of charcoal(HD 10 bucks) and a little wood.

so theoretically, u can do it for 65 bucks for meat and 100-200 for food and fuel. Add in the entry fees and your around 500 bucks.

BUT.. heres what happenes (to me anyway)....

I do at least 2 butts and 2 briskets, sometimes 3 of each. At least 2 family packs of thighs and at least 6-9 racks of ribs (then add in shipping of prime briskets from 1500 miles away and meat costs go thru the roof.) 225 for meat at least, and thats just competition meat, and purchased locally at a wholesaler. Also 8-12 heads of various lettuce.

Now, us stick burners..... typically use at least 3 20 lb bags of lump, sometimes 5. Depends on when stuff gets wrapped and weather. Until its wrapped. i use alll wood, but once its wrapped, i switch to charcoal. Figure about 75 for fuel + wood.

a cooler of drinks and water you need ALOT of water bottles. Stand in an asphalt parking lot in the middle of July.. GETS HOT. figure 100 bucks here. Minimal beer, only for guests. The team usually does not embibe(sp). We drink water or ice tea.

Now lets discuss the party. ( I know tim and dave dont like this part.... but its easy to get dave to let his hair down. :) )
Night before turnin.. its a party... parties required insane amounts of food. :) Sausage rings the size of pizzas.. $30. 20lb Prime ribs $120, Scallops, $25, few bottles of flavored vodkas $50, watermelons, corn, etc......... then all the papergoods, pans, tablecloths... etc.... add 300-500 for the party ...at least.. I dont drink, but i do kick back and party till around midnight... in between prepping and brining.. and getting the butts and briskets in.

If ya need a hotel room.. add 100 bucks/night...

So... Up to you how ya wanna do it, bare bones or go nuts, or find someplace in between. You can go for 200-300 over entry fee, or make a party out of it and dump 1500.

Then add the cost of all the stuff you will buy after your first barebones competition bites you with the bug... and ya wont even blink buying stoves, lights, tents, trailers, tables, etc..... damn, I just spoke to a competitior that brings an air conditioner with him to put in the tent. So even if ya go bare bones.. if that competition bug bites you.... hold on tight.... and dont look at your bank statemnet for a few months.

hey, its a hobby for some and a business for others, both both are gonna cost $$$. Its entirely up to you to set a budget and live within the means.. But some frindly advice.. watch out for that damn bug. :)

The Ashland, MS competition down here is a sanctioned KCBS competition. Entry fees are $75 for the first entry and $50 for each entry after that. Total $225. The sauce/dessert/side dish competitions are $10 each. Here's what I'm figuring for my event.

$135 entry fee - that's ribs, chicken and sauce competition. I'm a virgin to the KCBS events so I'm starting off small

$80 - meat....that's $60 for two 3-packs of ribs from Sam's and $20 for a couple of good packs of chicken thighs

$40 - misc food items like sodas, ice, water, snacks and garnish for trays. Not going to take any beer with me because I don't wanna get chitfaced stupid my first competition and I know I won't be able to stay up as long if I'm drinking. Going to try and be serious. I'll have the wifey bring me a small cooler on Saturday.

$50 - misc other items like pans, foil, propane for the lanterns, charcoal, etc.

This is probably a very low estimate of what I'll actually spend but at least I have a ballpark estimate. Of course this isn't counting the EZ-up tent I have to buy or the extra table I need. Figure another $300 for that. All other items like rubs, sauce, utensils, camping gear, etc, I already have and am taking with me.

Dude! You are DOOMED! :twisted:

The dark side is calling. :D

Slat visited the Belly Brothers when we cooked at Charleston.....I'm actually surprised it took this long for him to start asking questions..... 8)

I plan on visiting again in Columbia. Just trying to get things in perspective. Thanks for all the input. I can always count on the Brothers.

Solidkick said:
Slat visited the Belly Brothers when we cooked at Charleston.....I'm actually surprised it took this long for him to start asking questions..... 8)

He's been busy trying to cut up that chicken. :p

I hope my wife doesn't read this thread, as she just signed on to buy a new smoker for competing next year. I guess it will be better to ask for forgiveness...

I guess it will be better to ask for forgiveness...

No man! You're gonna need absolution! :D Come up to Dillard the first weekend in Augus!

I plan on being there, but I will also be on call for our airport facility. I will make sure that I PM you so that I can check out your new kingfisher.
Noah

Back