MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
esselle
Full Fledged Farker

Default Chicken prep question.

This year we will be competing in a few competitions in the U.S. and up until this year our (British BBQ Society) rules haven't allowed us to do any preparing of meats prior to meat inspection. So I have no problems with ribs, pork and brisket but my question is to those of you that pre-prep chicken thighs the day before a comp, do you have any issues with the meat (and/or skin) drying out or spoiling in anyway? (especially if you are skin scraper).
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Scott.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

i usually prep on wednesday. i place in 2 gallon freezer bagon the top shelf of the fridge then transfer to a cooler with ice thursday nite. never any problems. "so far"

Old 01-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

If I prep chicken more than a day in advance I freeze it and let it thaw in the cooler.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
esselle
Full Fledged Farker

thanks...do either of you pre scrape the skin?

Old 01-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselle View Post
thanks...do either of you pre scrape the skin?
everytime. after im done i put them in a ziplock sandwich bag and put the bag in the same 2 gallon bag as the thighs. when it comes time to brine on friday i just remove the bag with the skins and pour the brine in.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

I hated chicken, like many others in comps, I also wrecked it several times during comps. Until I decided that the yardbird wasn't going to win and that I would dedicate two packs of thighs per week until I got the method down pat. I do not pre-prep my chicken at all, I prefer to select it from a top secret grocery store that has fresh, never frozen chicken, and I now only prep about 8 thighs to get the six I want.

I do scrape and trim and knock the knuckles off, but my trim time has been cut down to about five to ten minutes per thigh, which I can live with. Here's a shot of one of my turn ins from last year, followed by one I wrecked previously.

This one was a total disaster, too much smoke drew up unscraped skin, I sauced it heavily to stick the skin down, placed in the middle of the pack with it, but was totally unhappy with the end result.

GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
esselle
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstyle View Post
everytime. after im done i put them in a ziplock sandwich bag and put the bag in the same 2 gallon bag as the thighs. when it comes time to brine on friday i just remove the bag with the skins and pour the brine in.
Perfect ....thanks again.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
esselle
Full Fledged Farker

Lovely looking chicken GreenDrake!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

as soon as possible I trim, place on rack in fridge a few hrs, brine a couple hrs, back on rack in fridge till time to go in cooker next morning, just before going in cooker season and cook @ 350 in butter half pans. skin drying out = good.

Blog - Carpet Capitol Living
Greendriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
Parts_Guy
On the road to being a farker

We pre-prep ours a day or 2 ahead of time(we are scrapers). The morning of the cook, I brine ours for 3 hours. It seems to be working ok for us so far.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
El Pistolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselle View Post
This year we will be competing in a few competitions in the U.S. and up until this year our (British BBQ Society) rules haven't allowed us to do any preparing of meats prior to meat inspection.
I'm confused...I thought KCBS comps didn't allow prep before inspection, yet I see from all the replies that a lot of cooks do prep ahead of time. Is pre-prep allowed for chicken, but not pork, brisket, or ribs?

TGCBA; IBCA; KCBS CBJ
'Original' Oklahoma Joe, 22" WSM, 'Matches my mood' [B]Black[/B] Thermapen

[URL="http://elpistolero.qwiksilver.com"]My Brews & Ques[/URL][/SIZE]
El Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
I'm confused...I thought KCBS comps didn't allow prep before inspection, yet I see from all the replies that a lot of cooks do prep ahead of time. Is pre-prep allowed for chicken, but not pork, brisket, or ribs?
You can trim, scrape, etc all the meats. You just can't rub, inject, season, etc. Only knife work pre inspection.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
you can definately pre trim just not season or marinade. rule # 7 http://kcbs.us/pdf/2011_Rules_and_Re...12-10-2010.pdf

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #14
CMALANGA

I pretrim. I have not had aproblem with anything drying out. I don't scrape the skins as when the fat renders during cooking = flavor. The few times I did scrape it was diasterous, otherwise no problems with butchering ahead of time.
26" Weber Kettle
22.5" Weber Kettle
Large BGE
CMALANGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

I trim ahead and seal them up in my Foodsaver vacuum sealer. That always keeps em nice and fresh!