Competion questions

Uncle T

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I been reading and learning here. Different from what I am used to. I would think just a nice meat enhancing rub only would be better. Or maybe a nice marinate and a rub? Doesn't the sauce cover the meat and smoke taste.. Or am I thinking wrong here with how much sauce you are basting with. Forgive me for being such a newb. 4 hours for ribs seems such a short time, is thhat the standard time for ribs in Comp? I can't really find a time line in the rules and was under the impression comp started on Sat evening and turn in was to start on sunday at noon.. Am i way off base here? and If this is in the wrong area I am so sorry. :crazy:

usually comps start out early friday (sometimes even as early as thursday nite), and turn in is sat noon.

I would very highly recommend you to aleast take a judging class so you will know what judges are looking for, and if you can, a comp class will take out alot of the learning curve, but at first I would go to a comp and just look around on friday. See if it's something you might be interested in, most teams are friendly, and willing to answer basic questions.

EDIT: forgot to say, please leave teams alone on Saturday morning thru 2pm, it's game time :cool:

Yes I am planning on taking a comp. class they are having up here, not sure about the judge class its on a days that I am to work. Thank you for the information.

You didn't specify the sanctioning body, but since you're in Iowa I'll assume KCBS.

The only time related info you'll find in the rules is that you can't start prepping your meat (except for trimming, which may be done ahead of time) until after meat inspection and that you have to have your meat turned in on time (noon for chicken, 12:30 for ribs, 1:00 for pork and 1:30 for brisket are the standard times). Otherwise, the rules don't care when you do things in between.

As Mike said, most KCBS comps start on Friday and turn in is on Saturday. There are some Saturday-Sunday comps, but everything is just time shifted by one day. Meat inspection is usually done as teams are parked, so you can usually start the prep as soon as you are set up. Everyone has their own timeline that they have developed either through experience, through taking a class, or through doing mock competitions at home for practice (or all three :-D). For me, I don't do anything until about 2:00pm on the first day and have short tasks scattered throughout that afternoon and evening. Things don't start to get really busy until Saturday morning when I wake up, but everyone is different based on their cookers, cook temp, etc.

As far as ribs go, again, it depends on the cooker and the cook temp. In addition, the type of rib (baby back vs. spares) and the size of the racks all come into play. My ribs cook for about 4 1/2 hours. YMMV :-D

Sauce is an interesting discussion. It is entirely optional, and most judges will judge what you put in front of them and score it on it's own merits, but you'll run into judges who let personal preference get in the way of their scoring and they may (and probably will) score down if you don't sauce (at least on chicken, ribs and pork). But, it's really a balancing game between the flavor of the meat, the rub, the smoke and the sauce. The best coring entries will have all of those in the right balance, and not have any one over powering the other.

Did that help at all? :becky:

You didn't specify the sanctioning body, but since you're in Iowa I'll assume KCBS.

The only time related info you'll find in the rules is that you can't start prepping your meat (except for trimming, which may be done ahead of time) until after meat inspection and that you have to have your meat turned in on time (noon for chicken, 12:30 for ribs, 1:00 for pork and 1:30 for brisket are the standard times). Otherwise, the rules don't care when you do things in between.

As Mike said, most KCBS comps start on Friday and turn in is on Saturday. There are some Saturday-Sunday comps, but everything is just time shifted by one day. Meat inspection is usually done as teams are parked, so you can usually start the prep as soon as you are set up. Everyone has their own timeline that they have developed either through experience, through taking a class, or through doing mock competitions at home for practice (or all three :-D). For me, I don't do anything until about 2:00pm on the first day and have short tasks scattered throughout that afternoon and evening. Things don't start to get really busy until Saturday morning when I wake up, but everyone is different based on their cookers, cook temp, etc.

As far as ribs go, again, it depends on the cooker and the cook temp. In addition, the type of rib (baby back vs. spares) and the size of the racks all come into play. My ribs cook for about 4 1/2 hours. YMMV :-D

Sauce is an interesting discussion. It is entirely optional, and most judges will judge what you put in front of them and score it on it's own merits, but you'll run into judges who let personal preference get in the way of their scoring and they may (and probably will) score down if you don't sauce (at least on chicken, ribs and pork). But, it's really a balancing game between the flavor of the meat, the rub, the smoke and the sauce. The best coring entries will have all of those in the right balance, and not have any one over powering the other.

Did that help at all? :becky:

Yes it did help alot. Alos yes it is KCBS, man going from what I am used to to these should be fun. Now if the bank will act as fast asyou all have here I will be all set. :clap2: :thumb:

If you're going to the Tippy / Big T's class you'll get a ton of info from two outstanding cooks. Between the two of them joe & Ryan have scooped up a lot of awards.

Uncle T, I dont know how hard you want to jump in at first but we have tons of great teams here in Iowa and I bet most would let you kinda help, be a gopher or such, to learn the basics to see what you think.

Another suggestion I would make is to do one of the numerous "backyard" contests, though some are pretty serious, and that will help you get accustomed to timing and such. A great one is in Emmetsburg at the end of August. Its ribs,chicken,and pork but not brisket and gives an hour between each turn in rather than 30 minutes.

This will be my first year competing KCBS but if there is anything i can do to help or suggest please let me know

ron just about covered it. as stated earlier a class or being able to get in good with a team and shadow them for the weekend will be worth its weight in gold

Dave, tippy/bigT was full. I do plan on going to the judges class in March. Plus I put my name in the team mentoring area. I have helped my brother last year in a couple small smoke/cook/ offs that were local deals (unsanctioned) around the small toans Like Milo and Lacona Iowa. Its really what hooked me on to wanting to get more involved with or create a team. I am starting a BBQ restaurant this year if things all come together as I plan. So I will be practicing with a couple new smokers for a few months for that. I do have experiance in the restaurant area of smoking meat. but here you are not timed, plus a restaurant smoker is a little different then what you use for comp. Any ways I hope to catch on as a old gopher/ redheaded step child for some team this year if I can. If can't I will still go to a few as a spectator and watch and learn.

Thanks all for all the advice and comments.

Uncle T, if I don't meet you before the class you'll see me there. This will be the third class that I've helped out / volunteered at and I re-learn or remember something each time :thumb:. Mike & Theresa Lake put on a good class - you're going to enjoy it. Have you joined the Iowa BBQ Society yet? If so maybe I'll see you at the IBS banquet in Ames this month.

Back