Weekend brisket

W

WvSmoke

A nice 12lb packer. Just threw it on the UDS at 11:00pm. Temp is stable at 260° but will probably drop since the night time low is supposed to be 28°. I'll check it again at midnight and again around 6:00am. I injected it with a mixture of beef broth, onion powder, garlic powder, soy sauce, and a very small amount of steak sauce. Then I peeled off the silverskin and rubbed it with sea salt, fresh coarse ground black pepper, paprika, crushed garlic and onion powder. Hoping to eat around 2:00pm tomorrow. For appetizers I'm serving cheese stuffed MOINKS, ABT's and a secret "It came from the sea" TD dish. For dessert I am thinking about doing a pumpkin pie in the ECB. Stay tuned for pron.

Can't wait for your pron man ;-)

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Sounds great. I'll be over at 2.

What, no raw pron? Will be awaiting the final product!

What, no raw pron? Will be awaiting the final product!

Heh, the last time I posted raw I got a zero in a TD :becky: Just didn't have time for pics. I panned and foiled it at 170° (at about 7:00 this morning). I didn't even get a shot of the UDS smoking at dawn. That was really cool looking. It was 28° out and I was shivering so the pic would have been blurry anyway.

Definitely sounds like someone is going to be eating well today. If I leave now I think I can be there by 2:00. Save me a plate please. Looking forward to see how it all turned out. :becky:

Anxiously waiting for the pr0n.

picture.php

^^^that dog has a biscuit problem. Is there a 12 step program for that?

WHERE IS THE BRISKET?!?!?!?!?! :hungry:

Had a great time hanging out with friends and cooking all day. Don’t have many pics, but I did get a few of the brisket before it was devoured. The cheese stuffed MOINKS and ABT’s went as fast as I could get them off the grill while the brisket was resting. But, as promised, here is the brisket.
If you are wondering why it looks funny, it’s because when I trim the fat cap, I do it with a filet knife. I try to slice thin pieces from the cap and save them. I cook my brisket fat side down, and after it has cooked to the point that it’s ready to foil, I take those thin pieces of fat and spread them over the meat so the juice can render down. What is left is the tough parts that don't render. That way I can cook fat side down, but still get the juices from the fat into the meat. It works great!
This thing was juicy and melt in your mouth tender. Out of a 12 pound packer, there is nothing left, not even enough for a sammich.

SANY3088.jpg

SANY3089.jpg

Almost forgot to get a pic until after I separated the point.
SANY3090.jpg

SANY3091.jpg

This thing was awesome!!! Excellent smoke ring, and the juice just poured out! One of my best briskets, and I have done many:

SANY3092.jpg

Sorry I don’t have more. Just had too much company and good times to worry about a camera.

Making me hungry for tomorrow's que! Great looking brisket.

Looks fantastic :hungry: What did you do with the point?

Not trying to be "that" guy but one thing I noticed, it looks like you are slicing with the grain to some degree. It is hard to tell and I could be completely wrong. If you can find the grain of the flat and slice perpendicular to it the slices will come out much better. Still looks great though and by the sounds of it, nobody you were serving cared in the slightest.

I was cutting it across the grain. You can the flat in the pic. It does look like it was cut with some grain, but it wasn't. The end you are seeing was at the point connection so maybe that's it. I managed to save the point and sneak it into the freezer for some burnt ends maybe later this week or next weekend. If I wouldn't have, it would be gone too.

Hey Monty-
Wanna know how that brisket fat is really good? Take the stuff that's really firm and white, set it on the grate of the smoker and let it cook until it's crisp. There is nothing better. Probably not healthy, but delicious.

And your brisket looks good, stupid moist.

That's a great idea! The fat that I put on the meat side is pretty good, but really chewy because of the rendering over indirect heat (being shielded by the brisket). I'll bet it would have crisped up and been great if I had put it over some direct heat for a bit.

Back