MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Need help thawing out large pieces of frozen meat (turkey, pork) how to do it right?

How do you thaw out your meat?

I always have problems when I thaw a larger pieces of meat that has been in my freezer. For example, I pulled a package of 6 center cut, pork steaks out of the freezer and left them on the kitchen counter for at least 6 hours. Then put them back in the fridge. The next day I got them out to grill them and they were still frozen. I had to defrost in them in the microwave. This seem to happen a lot. I don't want to thaw on the counter too long and have the meat spoil and make someone sick. It seems like everytime I thaw a turkey the same thing happens and I end up thawing with warm water to get the ice out of the inside. They say to put the turkey in the fridge for a few days to let it thaw slowly on it's own. It never works. If I set a block of ice on the counter it would be gone in a few hours.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

In a cooler filled with water.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

3 days in the fridge ought to get it close

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
How do you thaw out your meat?

They say to put the turkey in the fridge for a few days to let it thaw slowly on it's own. It never works.
This always works, for more than 30 years of doing this.
Depending on how big the Turkey is, it could take 3-6 days.

You don't want to thaw any large piece of meat in warm water as this
could put it in the danger zone for safety.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
danparker77
On the road to being a farker

You should thaw meat in the fridge. Turkeys are somewhere around 6 hours a pound IIRC. If you thaw anything in water, whether sink or cooler, you should change the water every hour (whoops, 30 min guess they changed some stuff). The last bit about water is from the USDA website.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Big_Thaw/

Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I did read the FDA report. They are correct about cold water thawing but the rest of the report goes down hill rapidly.
Change the water every 30 minutes? BULL The water in the sink will be colder than the replacement water from the tap. Don't thaw on the counter basement car etc. etc. This is just plain STUPID. Where do they think you're supposed to thaw?
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Put it in the fridge for 3-5 days and will work just fine.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
Kings over Queens
Knows what a fatty is.

In a pot, bucket or bowl, filled with water and have some water dripping (drip....drip....drip) every so slightly. The convection caused by the dripping is key. Do this in a sink or even the bath tub.

I take just about everything that the USDA says/writes/prints with a grain of salt. Danger zone my ass. Your gonna cook the damn thing, right?

Use some common sense and you are fine.
Kings over Queens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2011, 12:32 AM   #9
jbcain
On the road to being a farker

Cold water is the best to thaw meat, draining and refilling as needed. I'm not gunna bull**** anyone, if I know it's an air tight seal, I'm tossing it in the pool.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danparker77 View Post
You should thaw meat in the fridge. Turkeys are somewhere around 6 hours a pound IIRC. If you thaw anything in water, whether sink or cooler, you should change the water every hour (whoops, 30 min guess they changed some stuff). The last bit about water is from the USDA website.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Big_Thaw/
I'm going to thaw a 10.25 pound turkey. I want to smoke it 1 week from today
Today is Saturday so, I thought I would take it out Tuesday morning. That would be 4 days in the fridge, out of the freezer.

Tags
thaw meat, thaw turkey