MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default UDS diffuser help

OK, so last weekend I did 6 butts on the UDS. All that fat dripping onto the coals just plain stank. I've had this before and I just told myself it wasn't any big deal, but it really is. It didn't ruin the meat or anything, but it's something I noticed. Noone else commented on it, but when I'd go out to the drum, it just didn't smell like sweet BBQ smoke......

SO, I want to put a diffuser in it but I can't figure the best way to do it.

Hang it from the bottom cook rack?
Attach it to the charcoal basket?
Make brackets welded to the barrell to place it on?
Flat? Bowl shaped (like an ECB/WSM waterbowl)? Inverted so the grease runs of the outside edge?

Also, would it serve me better to use a thicker metal like a plow disc or would like a pizza pan be OK?

Ideas from those that have them would be great!

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I use an diposable aluminum foil turkey baking pan. They are large & oval shaped. I stretch the sides out so it is larger and shaped more like a round plate. It catches all of the stink grease and you don't have to clean it. Just fold it up and throw it away. I set a old BBQ grill grate on top of my charcoal basket and then set the flattened turkey pan on top of that. I have done this several times and it seems to work fine. I get the turkey pan at the local farm & home store fo about $3. Works for me.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Boshizzle

I use a round 16" terra cotta tray wrapped in foil sitting on a grate just above the charcoal basket. It works perfectly.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I use a round 16" terra cotta tray wrapped in foil sitting on a grate just above the charcoal basket. It works perfectly.
Is that a tray for a planter?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
Arat
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
but when I'd go out to the drum, it just didn't smell like sweet BBQ smoke......
I noticed that myself yesterday... like a gallon of stale liquid smoke :-(

I've thought adding an additional grate for a diffuser. My big question is how drastically does a diffuser change the UDS as far as temps... cooking times, etc? I love the way it cooks now and haven't had any problems with temp control so would a diffuser change that?
Arat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

I use one in my uds now and I have not noticed a difference in temperature control at all, but on a positive note the diffuser pan did help with the hot spot issue now temp from the center f the grill grate to the edge are alot closer then they were without it. I use a pizza pan for mine.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I second the planter base terracotta difuser. Don't have to fill it with water or sand. You can foil it if you want. I would just scrape mine at the end of every cook and it worked fine. I always put it on the bottom grate of my UDS but, could totally see just putting it on a grate right above the basket. It really evened out the temperatures in the drum. the one thing that was noticable though was that it will take longer for your UDS to come up to temp with it in. But, when it comes to recovery and constant running temps, it's awesome.

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

When I didn't have the defusser I noticed it soaked the charcoal with the dripping fat. Made the charcoal hard to burn evenly. The defusser keeps the charcoal dry.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
Arat
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobBQ View Post
I use a pizza pan for mine.
Just a straight pizza pan or do you have any holes drilled in it?
Arat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arat View Post
My big question is how drastically does a diffuser change the UDS as far as temps... cooking times, etc? I love the way it cooks now and haven't had any problems with temp control so would a diffuser change that?
This is my concern as well. I like the "direct heat" aspect of the UDS. To add a diffuser, this would eliminate this, no? I'd think that the closer to the bottom (just above the coals) would allow the heat to still come around the diffuser and envelope the meat rather than having the diffuser right underneath the meat.

Here's my other issue: the design of my charcoal basket....

As you can see in this picture, I've got a heavy steel hook welded onto the basket so I can lift it in and out with my long hook. I could put more brackets/bolts just above this hook and sit the diffuser on those (or on a rack on those) but then I'd think it'll be a PIA to reach way down in to place or remove that.

Maybe I can just put a hole in the diffuser and put the hook through that? The foil turkey roasting pan would work for this maybe?

SO....if the diffuser is very hot and the grease drips on it, THAT won't give off the same stank, or is it when the grease directly hits the coals? It's not just the heat?

Old 09-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

I don't have any holes in mine because I collect the drippings and use them for seasoning green beans..

Old 09-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #12
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

it is the drippings hitting the flames that cause the smell you are describing, and you can put a hole in the turkey or pizza pan and slide it over the hook with no problems, the diffuser doesn't get near as hot as the flames do and the drippings keep it cooler so it does not burn off as much.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Is that a tray for a planter?
Yep, I bought it at Home Depot.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #14
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

I put another grate a couple inches above the coal basket. I got a 20 quart stainless steel bowl on oline for $10.00 plus frieght It is about 18 inches across so it fits great. I use water in it. Because it is a cheap pan and very thin I cut a 12" circle out of a scrap drum top and I use it to protect the water pan from the direct heat of the coals. Now that I am happy with how it works if it ever wear out I will spend the extra money and get a heavy one. They were about $40.00 at the cash and carry store. The light weight one is $20.00 at that same store. You don't have to use it to many times to pay for itself. But i love the idea of the turkey roaster and just tossing it I just can't do it. I wrap the pan in foil for ease of clean up. I have cooked 8 pork shoulders at once in my UDS and I have very little grease make it to the bottom.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #15
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

Also your stank might be from your charcoal settling. I get an off odor if my charcoal is clogged. I have a lower door so I go in there and open some airways and keep a small amount of wood going all of the time. The smell way very off putting to me. I think some guys have wiggle rods for the same reason.