BBQ spy

Stupid. Anybody who thinks that they can see something and it will help doesn't know BBQ. Looking doesn't explain how all the steps work and why.

Now hanging out and asking questions, that's not spying, it's shigging.

Someone who enters another BBQ teams site with the intent of stealing cooking techniques and information, often masked as a social visit, is called a "shigger".

"The shigging shigger shigged my rib trimming technique when he stopped by and asked for a beer!"

Stupid. Anybody who thinks that they can see something and it will help doesn't know BBQ. Looking doesn't explain how all the steps work and why.

exactly, but, the intent still makes them a f8cker.

not sure that hanging out and asking questions is shigging though.

:thumb:

I know a guy that when he competes in clear plan site 10-15 different rubs and sauces none of which he uses. :laugh:

my neighbors!! at 1 comp this year they all sat there and watched every move i made, good luck to him, it doesn't work for me perhaps he can make it work, lol

I really don't care. My tent is always open. I only put up sides to discourage the general public from walking in while I'm doing boxes.

Wanting to learn is one thing and I find it hilarious when the next time you see these people they have nearly EVERYTHING they viewed in bulk. HAHAHAHAHA!

It takes a lot more than one thing to make something happen. Many teams will give out info. An example is when I asked Mike Scrutchfield for something for the CBBQA news letter and he gave me the BRITA recipe. He said that the rub is just a small part of the process.

I was just sitting at the Bel Air BBQ Bash tailgate challenge yesterday waiting for the ribs to be done and could not for the life of me remember the term.

Glad to see the question kicked up some discussion.

Could also go with "a new team" :) We've spent a decent amount of time walking around talking to more experienced teams about what they are doing (but we don't make a secret that we're competing soon, so if they share techniques or anything its eyes-open..)

Kinda related, but how would camping next to your space help? We're premixing all our rubs/sauces/etc at home.. (We are putting the ingredients into the "emergency" tote, just in case, but if we have to open that for any reason something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.. Come to think of it, I think I'm gonna stick a 5th of jack in there too. We'll need it if we've had to open that tote :laugh:)

Asking questions and getting answers is not Shigging. Snooping around without permission is shigging. The term will be 4 years old this weekend coming up.

Back