Anyone know if this is the real deal ?

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

Umm, that's kinda what the lid says....
Ed

Umm, that's kinda what the lid says....
Ed

This is true, but I can't find any markings on it. Iv'e seen photos of Kamado's with the number 5 on them as well as japanese writing. I think I saw a store that sold that type of lid. So Im just not sure. It sure looks like the real deal. Im starting to clean it up and it seems to be in real good shape.

It the lid said, China, instead of Japan, I would lean towards the not. But I guess the lid could always have been replaced.

But if were me, clean it up, put it in a table and start smoking/grilling.

It the lid said, China, instead of Japan, I would lean towards the not. But I guess the lid could always have been replaced.

But if were me, clean it up, put it in a table and start smoking/grilling.

I agree,
As I clean it up, Im finding out that it is in great shape. Just need a gasket and a custom brick for the air flow. Hope to give it a test run next weekend. Thanks for your response.

Well i did a little bit of a search and found several pictures of ones that are genuine and they have the same handles and rings on outside, so unless someone replaced
ALL the hardware on the outside i would guess that it is probably the real deal. either way fire it up and post some pron!

Well, you have a lid that says Imperial Kamado.....

But the rest of it screams Hibachi Pot!

100_2706.jpg

....or Sakura Kamado
100_2684.jpg

....or a Noritake Kamado

100_2899.jpg

...or

100_2322.jpg

But who really knows?

They were usually shipped unassembled, and parts could easily have been switched at the warehouse by the distributor. There were a few companies that made Kamados in Japan and when they retired, forms and operations went to Taiwan and China. Some parts got intermingled with others, especially rings and fireboxes.

If you download the Kamado Manual from the Naked Whiz site, it gives instructions on using mortar to level and secure the firebox and ring if they don't fit properly.

The lids with the dog ears on them are the traditional K's and were handles for lifting the lid. Richard Johnson of Kamado.com claimed to have "invented the band hinge and replaced the plug damper with the slider vent. Obscure stuff I found in their forum archive.

Imperial Kamado was base out of Carson CA, and when Mr. Mako retired sold the biz to Augie at Kamado King in NY. I'm glad I copied all I could from the original IK website, because it was a treasure trove of historical information.

So, its 40 or even 50 years old, and if its in decent shape, it'll probably last a long time if you treat it right.

I have one that has Japanese writing down the lid, but the tom says Taiwan. Any idea what it is? It looks almost identical to this one.

I hear they are especially good with potting soil and planting petunias.

Just Kidding!

Back