MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
smknhotmama
is One Chatty Farker

Default Traveling/Tailgating Q’ing Question

John bought me a camper for Mother’s Day this year! Its old (30 ft 1992 Dutchman) it’s ugly and I LOVE it! We are headed to Richmond International Raceway the 28th-1st for the race as our maiden voyage and I intend on at minimum taking my Weber Kettle, I actually have 2 now!! -anyway we are traveling with another couple and I'm sure we'll meet up with many others that are hungry for good grrrillleedd mmmmeat as well...so... I’ve tailgated before but only for one day- not 3 and everyone else brought the food; I just cooked what I was told to (like a good little girl should).

A) Are any of you farkers gonna be at the Richmond Race???
B) John suggested bringing the Egg and I put the kibosh on that quickly- or should I?
C) Or should I just bring 1 or 2 Kettle's instead?

Thank you in advance and Mods...You know the drill move me to the appropriate arena if I have posted incorrectly!

Old 04-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I think you'll be fine with one kettle. Anyone else there probably has their own grill.

I wouldn't take the Egg. It's very heavy and I would hate to have it break. I know lots of folks take Eggs to competitions, but I'm paranoid. A Kettle is much easier to handle.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

What he said^^^^^. Course, if you have the space, you can take both kettles and grill on one and smoke on the other. But, that's just me. I normally take my son's MUDS and our SJP. That more than gets us by. Congrats on the trailer. RV'ing if FUN!!!!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
smknhotmama
is One Chatty Farker

Cool...I have room so maybe I will take both kettles. Also taking the turkey fryer so we can do a big shrimp boil as well! I'm thinking fatties, MOINKs, chicken legs and thighs and some sort of kabob. Gotta do some beans and slaw...that should be enough veggies though! Plus plenty of my beverage(s) of choice...

Old 04-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
zwylde1
Take a breath!

Hey SMK....I would take both kettles indeed. I am a huge racing fan as well, and take our motor home to many, many races. Just curious if you have ever been to a race with the RV before? For the most part you do not get a whole lot of space in between campers. Got a generator to run the RV as well??

I have been places before that the space you have gives you just enough room to put your awning out, and the next camper is right up next to you.

Enjoy the races!
zwylde1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
smknhotmama
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwylde1 View Post
Hey SMK....I would take both kettles indeed. I am a huge racing fan as well, and take our motor home to many, many races. Just curious if you have ever been to a race with the RV before? For the most part you do not get a whole lot of space in between campers. Got a generator to run the RV as well??

I have been places before that the space you have gives you just enough room to put your awning out, and the next camper is right up next to you.

Enjoy the races!
I do have a generator-and we are in the lot planning on getting in the moment it opens so that we might get a bit better real estate. Was going to park in a nearby yard as lots of folks to but it was 90.00 a night! As opposed to 80.00 for Thursday -Sunday!
Any and all advice will be MUCH appreciated!

Old 04-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
zwylde1
Take a breath!

Not sure how Richmond works there camping lots, but many open them up the Sunday before the race. I have been in lines that were pretty crazy a week before. Then again, some open the Thursday before the race. Camping at a race is the most fun you can have. The stuff you will see will amaze you, and give you ideas for the next trip. I am sure the people you meet around you will be amazed at the BBQ you will be making. Things they never thought of before but will love.

Gonna need water for your camper as well. Check to see if they have water available to fill up when you get there, or fill before you leave. Better if you can get it there, less weight to tow on the trip. Be sure to top off the propane for the camper as well. Refrig runs on gas. Also check battery for camper....need it for lights when not running generator, plus it helps keep the frig running. No power...pilot light will go out. You can PM me with any questions, or post away here.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
smknhotmama
is One Chatty Farker

^^^ You're my new best friend!^^^
they have pump out and fresh water service (for a fee of course!) I know we can def. get in at 7am on Thursday...Nationwide is Friday night, Sprint Saturday Night, then we gotta haul it outta there by noon on Sunday. Tons of great tips above. THANK YOU!

Old 04-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
pomah25
Full Fledged Farker

Won't be going this year, but have been (don't have a camper unfortunately so it was a day trip) great time!! I would bring both webers, one for smoking one for grilling. I also sent a link to one of my buddy's he might be going to the race, so he will hit you up if he is.

Where in the beach are you? Do you compete?
pomah25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
zwylde1
Take a breath!

Honey Wagon fees are usually $30-40 bucks. Water varries...some charge by the gallon, others flat fee, but still pricey considering it is tap water! If you do not have to go far, fill it before you leave. Then you do not have the hassle of waiting for the guy to come by.

PS...when they come to pump your tanks.....run for the hills....it sure does have an odor of it's own. If you can, make arrangements for them to come while you are at the races Saturday night. That way no worries Sunday morning when trying to leave.

Also verify that evrything works on battery and propane before you leave. I had to fix a guys frig one time. Ran fine on electric....but would not fire on propane. Spider built a nest in his gas line!

Old 04-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

One last tip is make sure you have extra fuses for the trailer, pvc cement/primer, and basic set of tools(sockets, etc) and if it hasn't already been done, bearings repacked and inspected and lugs torque tightened. All the other things you can deal with as they happen. But quite often you can count on a minor electrical or plumbing issue. Highly recommend one of these. My copy has bailed me out, more than once and saved me LOTS of money or repair bills.
Amazon.com: RV Repair and Maintenance Manual: Updated and Expanded (RV Repair & Maintenance Manual) (9780934798709): Bob Livingston: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51-enKq583L.@@AMEPARAM@@51-enKq583L
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
zwylde1
Take a breath!

I have paid up to $900 for a weekend at the tracks. But then again we camped trackside and watched the races from the top of the motor home!

Old 04-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
Skidder
Babbling Farker

No help here except go 88!
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
Soybomb
Full Fledged Farker

Another option would be DIY mini smokey mountain. It uses a weber smokey joe and a tamale pot with a couple extra racks. Pretty easy to put together. Fits up to 3 racks of food.

Here is mine with a 1 pound fatty on top and a pastrami down below, nice and roomy.
Soybomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #15
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Congrats on the Mother's day gift, Shawn! We just got a 97 Coachman Leprechaun and I am learning here too! Great thread!