MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #16
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Says the guy that told everyone this past weekend that asked that he cooked the best brisket of his life and got 44th out of 50 teams.
Right there with ya
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #17
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
I think I know when I put good product in box so if its good I will say it. But you will always have the box where you wonder WTF were they thinking either good or bad.

Says the guy that told everyone this past weekend that asked that he cooked the best brisket of his life and got 44th out of 50 teams.
ha!.. I hear ya!!.. I cooked a so-so brisket as was 43rd, and the best brisket I've ever tasted was 41st!!... I don't think judges know a good brisket if it hit them in the face.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #18
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

I cooked a very good brisket hit a table with good cooks and they hated all of us. was looking down the snoot at a gc finished 6th..Steve a nice man got a 180.

I am super critical and so usually when someone asks me I am sort of pessimistic. other cooks I know always love everything that comes off their cooker
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #19
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

We overcooked our brisket in Green Lane this year and got first with it. I'm pretty sure there must have been judges that write 4s that look like 9s to the reps. We have great stuff get shot down, so I no longer try to guess.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #20
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I hear what you are all saying, and I agree. I too am very critical of my turn ins, as well as anything I cook.

However I'm referring more to the guy who always walks but also always low rates his turn ins. Maybe he's just superstitious.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #21
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggy Style View Post
I do it every single entry, its a superstition thing I guess. If you think (or at least say) that it is good then I wont get a call, right???. I am well aware that there is zero logic in that.

This!!! I don't like to say anything after the cook. I even tell my teammate to shut up when he starts critiquing our turn-ins. The most I divulge after a cook is usually the "Well, I got everything turned in on time. The rest is up to the judges."
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #22
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
I hear what you are all saying, and I agree. I too am very critical of my turn ins, as well as anything I cook.

However I'm referring more to the guy who always walks but also always low rates his turn ins. Maybe he's just superstitious.
I've only been doing competition BBQ for a relatively short time, but one thing I've noticed is that competition cooks are some of the MOST superstitious people on the planet.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #23
quarters69
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : quarters
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
I am very critical of what I've turned in. Even when we GC I still get critical about what could have been better. You also have to look at your scores with an open mind, unless its judge #2, table 7 at the Springfield, Ky. contest. That person needs to go back to judging school or find another hobby.
Or judges on table 12 at Munfordville.
quarters69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #24
Kave Dweller
Take a breath!

I'm honest when I say I don't know, or I didn't like something.

I sent my wife a txt one comp said chicken was best ever, almost finished DAL with it. I can tell when my brisket is good and I can tell when the ribs are good, other two categories I'm usually dead wrong.

Creators of "Reverse Shigging": When your competition wants to know what your doing so they know what doesn't work.
Kave Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #25
bruno994
Full Fledged Farker

Superstitious yes, not wanting my feelings hurt at awards when I think I have killer stuff and get no calls, yes...yes...yes! It's better for me and my ego to down play my turn ins by pointing out the negatives then get all hyped up and get my balloon popped.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #26
lcbateman3
is One Chatty Farker

I remember one contest that I thought my brisket was horrible. So bad that after turn ins I threw the whole thing away. Got a 5th out of it.

You only fail if you do not try.
lcbateman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #27
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

I have only competed a few times, and I do this, too. I am the harshest critic when it comes to what I turn in. I love talking to all the "looky loos" that walk around at competitions, because I met guys that were really friendly by once being that guy that walked around and observed. People always ask how I think I will do, and I always say, "Well, I did the best I could today, but it is up to the judges now." A little modesty goes a long way. I wouldn't call it sandbagging, I'd call it keeping myself in check.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #28
Kit R
Full Fledged Farker

I used to be more descriptive, but now when asked I just say "Well it was our usual product. Not better or worse, and we'll see how the judges like it." And that's about it. I might share a little more with folks I know well, but not much.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #29
HarleyGirl14226
Full Fledged Farker

I cringe whenever we are asked "How did your cook go?"...

When we like our chicken - it takes 43rd... When we hate our chicken, maybe get a call... Have point that is overcooked and flat that is undercooked - and have to turn in chopped instead of burnt ends? Get a call...

I give up.

I like to refer to our only goal: Get all 4 in on time and have fun. If that happened, everything else is gravy.

[I]KCBS / NEBS / CBJ[/I]
[I][I]MAK 2 Star General / [/I][/I][I]Yoder YS640[/I]
[I]2 - WSM's 22 1/2 / [/I][I]3 - Weber kettle's[/I]
[I]Backwoods Fatboy[/I]
[I][COLOR=magenta]PINK[/COLOR] Thermapen[/I]
HarleyGirl14226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #30
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
2 of our brisket calls I thought for sure were awful, and there was no way we were going to get a call. Ended up getting 3rds both times, both times beating way better brisket cooks than me.
Can't agree with you more. That Sam's contest we cooked in, I thought our chicken was a dog. We got third! I thought our brisky was excellent. Bottom of the rung???

I told my teammate whatever I think is good will fail and what I think sucks will get a call!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote