MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

Default Turkey Dilemma

Subject:
13 lb. already enhanced bird

Dilemma:
Put the turkey in a salt/sugar brine solution this morning with plans of cooking it tomorrow.
Got called out of town and will be gone from Sunday morning until Monday evening. The turkey will get cooked Tuesday.

Possible Solutions:
1)Leave the bird in the brine until I get home for a total of about 60 hours brine time. Pull, fridge overnight and cook Tuesday.

2)Replace the brine water with clean water in the morning and let the brine equalize for about 36 hours. Pull, fridge overnight and cook Tuesday. I remember Thirdeye doing something similar to this, and thought this might be an opportunity to try it.

3)Pull the bird from the brine in the morning and bag it in the fridge. Cook Tuesday.

4)Pull the bird from the brine and leave in the fridge uncovered for about 36 hours to really dry the skin out. Cover Monday night and cook Tuesday.

Any and all input appreciated

Paul

Old 10-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

why bother the brine has already been done that is what ENHANCED means

Old 10-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
why bother the brine has already been done that is what ENHANCED means
This is true but you can pull other flavors into it still.

It's ok to leave it in a brine for that long... normally 24 hours would be the norm but it's all good.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
This is true but you can pull other flavors into it still.

It's ok to leave it in a brine for that long... normally 24 hours would be the norm but it's all good.
Pulling in other flavors yes... and depending on the salinity, it's possible to get an exchange of liquids. Osmosis is movement of liquids from two different concentrations, trying to equalize.

Hey Paul, I've brined many a bird for 48 hours, so 60 will not be a show stopper. Going with a weaker brine would work too (long time with a weaker brine = short time with a stronger brine). I've rested birds in the fridge for 24 hours, so I would think you would be okay going 36.

As long as you have a cold fridge, I think I would either go with the weaker brine for 60 hours, or the 36 hour rest. OR, convince your neighbor to stop over and rinse the brine, dry the bird and get it back in the fridge on Sunday night.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
mbshop
Babbling Farker

If that long the meat will be a bit mushy. I quit brining long ago.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
As long as you have a cold fridge, I think I would either go with the weaker brine for 60 hours, or the 36 hour rest. OR, convince your neighbor to stop over and rinse the brine, dry the bird and get it back in the fridge on Sunday night.
Thanks Wayne.
Bagged or uncovered in the fridge for the 36 hour rest?

Old 10-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
caseydog

I would pull it out of the brine, rinse and pat it dry, and bag it while you are gone.

BTW, did you put any herbs in your brine? It is a great way to infuse some herbal flavors into the bird.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

I have always made compound butter for my herb component CD.
I will have to try it in the brine next time. Thanks

Paul

Old 10-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehigh View Post
Thanks Wayne.
Bagged or uncovered in the fridge for the 36 hour rest?
I'm thinking bagged until you hit home, then uncover it.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote