MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Fake Farmer
On the road to being a farker

Default Chuck Steak Advice Needed

So here's the situation....My wife's birthday is next thursday, 17th. I asked her if I could cook for her to take that off her plate for the day. She liked the idea, and the freezer's a bit empty these days. She asked for the last big chunk of meat from a 1/4 cow we purchased. A big chuck steak.

Everything I'm reading says stews and cubing it up because it's got more gristle and is a tougher cut. That's not really what I'm up for. I'm 100% confident cooking a steak she'll love but I realize this cut can be a bit different. She's not huge on gristle/fat.

My goal: A delicious steak, and nice presentation fit for a special meal. I'll cook whatever sides she asks for....and do all this on my 18.5 kettle.

My ask from you all: Please share any proven techniques you like, marinades, or direction for sear-and-rest, low-and-slow, or somewhere in between.

Thanks in advance to all.
Fake Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I guess my only question is how thick is the steak?

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
BBQinMI
Full Fledged Farker

Its not really a piece of meat that is meant to be treated as a steak... it needs to braised or cooked low and slow
BBQinMI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Diesel Dave

^^^ I agree but was asking the size for a time and possibly a reverse sear on it.
And possibly a marinade.
If the steer was treated properly when/if medicated/vaccinated there shouldn't be any gristle.

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe

Old 10-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Fake Farmer

As I went down to pull the chuck and take a look at it I realized...I might be in a whole new situation. Is this a chuck roast? Obviously, this is a ridiculously large piece of meat for 2 people. Any thoughts/experience/advice appreciated. Thanks already for the interest, Diesel Dave and BBQinMI.

PS...Every piece of meat I have had from this cow has been beautifully marbelled and tender.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Diesel Dave

Yup that's a roast. And a nice lookin one
Low and slow like said, a rub of SPOG (salt, pepper, onion and garlic) light smoke if she likes that or an indirect cook would be best.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQinMI View Post
Its not really a piece of meat that is meant to be treated as a steak... it needs to braised or cooked low and slow
^^^^^ YES, Even as a steak it will be tough unless it is braised..

Braising relies on heat, time, and moisture to break down the tough connective tissue known as "collagen" in meat, making it an ideal way to cook tougher cuts. Many classic braised dishes such as coq au vin are highly evolved methods of cooking tough and otherwise unpalatable foods. Slow cooking in a crockpot is also a form of braising.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
cirk
is Blowin Smoke!

Don't listen to these guys. Trim the hard fat. Break out the mallet, don't go to thin. I marinade chuck nothing salty. Dry with paper towels evoo S&P and grill hot and fast. Rest in tented foil. Enjoy!

Old 10-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

If there is enough there for two, the chuck eye steak is fantastic.

http://www.figurethingsout.com/blog/...uck-eye-steak/

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
Fake Farmer

Welp, always nice to be the guy that doesn't know what cut of meat is right in front of him. I'm an idiot.

New plan.... Adapt and overcome!
8 hour marinade with red wine-ish mixture/garlic cloves/pepper/, indirect cook snake-method (cause it's her birthday and she isn't going to be too happy if I'm running down to the grill every 20 minutes) with the intention of slicing rather than pulling. Maybe a sear at the end.

Questions: Temp and time expectations? Minimum internal temperature for tender and delicious?

Everyone says this has to be done to 190-205 to work, but I am trusting this beef is exceptionally better than the avg cut. Shooting for a much lower temp if possible.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

If you cut the chuck eye out of it, you can cook it like any steak. the rest of it can be braised.

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

Make pepper stout beef?

Old 10-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #13
reedzkee
Found some matches.

I will find any reason to throw a piece of meat on the grill instead of cooking indoors. But after smoking a few chuckies, I must say I prefer them braised as a pot roast.

I use my moms pot roast recipe. Salt n Pepper, a light dusting of flour if you wish, brown it in the iron skillet, then pour a can of campbells french onion soup, a can of campbells beef broth, and pop it in the oven ~350 for 3 hours. At that point, throw in some potatoes/carrots and cook for another 30-45 minutes. One of my favorite meals of all time, and pretty much impossible to screw up. I specifically use campbells for this recipe as it imparts a specific flavor that works well for it.

I just can't imagine cooking one like a steak. Setting yourself up for disappointment.
reedzkee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #14
Hitman0321
Full Fledged Farker

Pepper shout beef would be a good choice, but for a birthday dinner I would go with coq au vin if you can, it is a dish that will impress. I personally have never cooked a chuck like a regular steak, because the CT content just screams "tough" to me. The coq au vin can be done on the Weber and isn't really all that much work once you get the prep done. Caseydog rocked one earlier this year, http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=164678 good luck!
Hitman0321 is offline   Reply With Quote