MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

View Poll Results: Do you find comment cards helpful?
Yes 164 83.25%
No 20 10.15%
Uncertain 13 6.60%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #31
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm going to say that I'm in favor of the "voluntary" comment cards. If we make it mandatory for a card on any score lower than, say, a 7 then we will end up with a three number scoring system - 7, 8 and 9. Some judges don't want to fill them out, think that it's too much trouble, won't change anything, etc.

Personally if I give you a 6 or lower I want to tell you why. A 6 by itself won't kill you but two of them ruins your day. Shouldn't you know why I felt that I needed to say that your food was "average" or less?

And we all know that "average" food isn't going to win any prizes .
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #32
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
If sonething along the lines were put into place and made mandatory for scores 7 and below, my score cards would all look like 888 888 888 888 888 888
Fixed your post for ya
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #33
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm with Dave: A 6 or under definitely gets a card. And I hate to say it but I agree about judges not wanting to fill them out if they're too "hard". Jean and I would, but the vast majority? I doubt it. Then you have a new system that doesn't work as well as the old...

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #34
Big Darb
Knows what a fatty is.

My team has yet to receive a card (and certainly not because we're so good in all four meats). IMHO, make prepopulated checkbox cards as others have discussed to make them quick and easy and then make them mandatory regardless of score. You can always include a couple lines for optional comment if the judge wants to go into additional detail. If a judge can't describe why they did or didn't like an entry then they probably shouldn't be judging. If the comment cards are well thought out they could even help judges be better judges without resulting in nothing but 8s.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #35
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Fixed your post for ya
Well then lets make them mandatory no matter the score. If a judge refuses, then they obviously don't take the task of judging seriously.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #36
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Well then lets make them mandatory no matter the score. If a judge refuses, then they obviously don't take the task of judging seriously.
I'm with ya on this. Move turn ins to one hour apart (starting at 11) so that judges have time to evaluate and properly comment on each entry.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #37
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I'm with ya on this. Move turn ins to one hour apart (starting at 11) so that judges have time to evaluate and properly comment on each entry.
Now there's a thought!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #38
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Now we're talkin! But I have a feeling that the move to one hour betwen turn ins would meet more resistance than mandatory comments.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #39
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

We spend most of our time cooking at PNWBA contests(we have very few KCBS events up here), under PNWBA every judge gives a comment card for all four meats. I have found them extremely valuable in upping my game(note, about 25% of them are useless comments). When cooking at KCBS, you never quite know why you received those bad scores. We also have hour turn-ins so the judges can get those comments put together.(I do like the hour turn-ins)
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #40
dhuffjr
Full Fledged Farker

I like comment cards, I think they should be encouraged. We had success making changes based on a card. As far as the team number issue. You can read through many permanent markers depending on the print underneath. A better approach is to allow space at the bottom of the card and have the reps cut the bottom of the card off removing the team number.

I don't know if I like spacing out turn in times as much as it could make things easier. If you take the crazy insanity of the small turn in window you remove a lot of what makes this thing we do so much fun.....and insane.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #41
billygbob
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae View Post
I'm with Dave: A 6 or under definitely gets a card. And I hate to say it but I agree about judges not wanting to fill them out if they're too "hard". Jean and I would, but the vast majority? I doubt it. Then you have a new system that doesn't work as well as the old...
What comment would you expect for an average/6? "It was average"? "It could have been better"? Are you looking for the judge to tell you how you should have cooked? Judges are instructed to not do that in comments.
billygbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #42
billygbob
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
I see (way too many) judges finish scoring six entries in less than five minutes. I doubt more time between turn ins is going to change things for/from them.

Edited to add: I like that more Reps are requiring all judges to stay at the table until they are all done judging. Unfortunately, I haven't seen that make the "speed judges" take any more time actually judging the entries.
billygbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #43
Smitty250
Full Fledged Farker

I like comment cards but they are only as good as the judge! Last comp I turned in 8 slices of brisket flat - no burnt ends and all slices from same brisket. I received 2 commet cards. First one said Great flavor but under cooked, Second one said No Flavor and over cooked!

The Judge who said it was under cooked needs some serious re-training! That brisket needed some duck tape to hold it together!!
[LEFT]2014 American Royal Open RGC[/LEFT]
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2016 Jack Daniel's World Pork Champion
[LEFT]2014, 2015 & 2016 Arizona Team of the Year[/LEFT]
[url]www.lootnbootybbq.com[/url]
Smitty250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #44
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Casten View Post
Alright rich ....
U received a 78& .... With a good comment .... Do you change anything
No way! If this judge thinks that an excellent rib should be scored an 8 for taste and an 8 for tenderness I am completely ok with that as long as they judge all entries in that manner. Yes, I would have liked an 99 for it but what can you do.

This is my favorite comment because it is the only one I have received that was positive.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #45
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty250 View Post
I like comment cards but they are only as good as the judge! Last comp I turned in 8 slices of brisket flat - no burnt ends and all slices from same brisket. I received 2 commet cards. First one said Great flavor but under cooked, Second one said No Flavor and over cooked!

The Judge who said it was under cooked needs some serious re-training! That brisket needed some duck tape to hold it together!!
Problem with that comment is that the judge is trying to tell you how to cook it which no cook likes to hear. Judges should comment on the entry and not try to guess on what the cook did or didn't do.