Maple wood

It will make your meat taste like pancakes.

Well, not really, but yes it is suitable. Treat it like you would a fruit wood as it's fairly sweet and mild.

I have a bunch of Florida maple and smoked with it exclusively a couple of times... it is a little TOO mild for me. But, since I have so much of it I still throw a split in now and then. It does smell good, but doesn't seem to impart much smoke flavor to the meat. (In my experience.)

Go ahead and give it a shot. :-D

LOVE sugar maple and poultry. Most of what I can get around here is silver or rock maple. Had to cut down the maple in my front yard last year so sitting on a fair amount right now. The bullets don't eat much!

ive cooked with silver maple quite a few times. Very light smoke flavor but it was good

If you can get Sugar Maple, I like it a lot. Nice sweet mild flavor. Around my part of the country, it's mostly Silver Maple, which is also light, but not as sweet. Also, if you're using a stick burner, maple doesn't burn very hot or very long.

It is very available in our area. It has a nice mild flavor and I use it with pork, chicken, and fish. If you are stick burning, it will not make a coal bed like oak and will take more wood. On my kettle, I just cut into about 2x2 chunks.

Back