MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #91
Diva Q
is one Smokin' Farker

At the end of the day its all BBQ. It may not be your Mammas, Your Daddy's or even your Granddaddy's but it is still BBQ. I have traveled from coast to coast in the US & Canada and eaten BBQ at over 150+ joints. Some of it was absolutely fantastic. Some of it was crap. Some was old school some was new school. Its still BBQ.
I have attended MIM multiples of times = tasted many entries that used so much cure it would knock your socks off - Its still BBQ.
I make KCBS over injected over sauced overly manipulated entries- Its still BBQ.
And in my own backyard I make what I like to eat simply seasoned food - Its still BBQ.

There is absolutely no reason to pigeon hole BBQ into one corner. Not ever. There are too many facets, styles and interpretations. Just eat what you like. Make what you like and compete how you like. Don't like what you are judging - don't judge. Been to a contest and treated like crap - don't go back. Don't like the atmosphere of a sanctioning body - don't participate. Seems pretty simple to me.
For me - It is much better to celebrate the differences..

Its all still BBQ.

Checkout my new Cookbook on [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Diva-Qs-Barbecue-Recipes-Cooking/dp/0147529824"][B]AMAZON[/B][/URL]

[CENTER][SIZE=3][B]Life is too short for bad BBQ[/B][/SIZE]®[/CENTER]

Last edited by Diva Q; 07-10-2013 at 07:33 PM..
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #92
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva Q View Post
At the end of the day its all BBQ. It may not be your Mammas, Your Daddy's or even your Granddaddy's but it is still BBQ. I have traveled from coast to coast in the US & Canada and eaten BBQ at over 150+ joints. Some of it was absolutely fantastic. Some of it was crap. Some was old school some was new school. Its still BBQ.
I have attended MIM multiples of times = tasted many entries that used so much cure it would know your socks off - Its still BBQ.
I make KCBS over injected over sauced overly manipulated entries- Its still BBQ.
And in my own backyard I make what I like to eat simply seasoned food - Its still BBQ.

There is absolutely no reason to pigeon hole BBQ into one corner. Not ever. There are too many facets, styles and interpretations. Just eat what you like. Make what you like and compete how you like. Don't like what you are judging - don't judge. Been to a contest and treated like crap - don't go back. Don't like the atmosphere of a sanctioning body - don't participate. Seems pretty simple to me.
For me - It is much better to celebrate the differences..

Its all still BBQ.
Definitely the best statement/assessment so far IMO!!!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #93
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
Definitely the best statement/assessment so far IMO!!!
someone is a suck-up!
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #94
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
I haven't been to a KCBS judging class, but I would hope that they aren't telling them what it should or shouldn't taste like, or that it should be "balanced" or not. They may, and IMHO that would be wrong.
It took me a while to find it, but I knew I remembered hearing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WPE...e_gdata_player

The instructor starts talking about taste at about 10:52 into the video. He stresses balance multiple times. Once again, balance is not necessary for great flavor. Certain meats can be outstanding if you lean one way or the other with one or more of the 4 basic tastes.

Last edited by Q-Dat; 07-10-2013 at 07:18 PM..
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #95
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Don't hate the player, hate the game. (but I love the game!)
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #96
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
someone is a suck-up!
But it's DivaQ...duh!!!

Don't be jealous...you're still my dog...Dog!!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #97
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
I recall neither Mr. Martin nor Mr. Bringel making personal attacks against any single person. Just KCBS competition BBQ, which is the game. The personal attacks were here in the Brethren. For some reason, that just doesn't surprise me.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #98
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
But it's DivaQ...duh!!!

Don't be jealous...you're still my dog...Dog!!
And yes, hopefully everyone knows I was joking, and what DivaQ wrote probably did say it all. It's all BBQ, one way or another. What I like/prefer may not be what you like/prefer, but it's still BBQ.

I do think it's a shame at what Q-Dat showed. No one should be instructed as to what it should, or shouldn't for that matter, taste like. They should be instructed that it's not a sauce contest, and that they should be judging the taste of the meat, and how the seasonings/spices/sauces used enhance and compliment the meat flavor, not mask it.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #99
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
I recall neither Mr. Martin nor Mr. Bringel making personal attacks against any single person. Just KCBS competition BBQ, which is the game. The personal attacks were here in the Brethren. For some reason, that just doesn't surprise me.

dmp
Quote:
Carey Bringle: ...the KCBS guys seem to be more me and my wife against the world, **** everybody else.
Certainly sounds like he's talking about the players here. Was that supposed to be a compliment? Certainly didn't seem like one.
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #100
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Please re-read what I said. It shouldn't be too hard since it was quoted. Which single person did Carey personally attack? You have a name? A physical description of the guy? Oh yeah, he said "KCBS," like I thought he did. The way I read it, he talked about the environment at KCBS events. The game that the body puts on. I doubt every one will agree, especially those who love that game, but I'll repeat, I don't see where he said anything bad about any specific person. At least a couple here have made negative comments specifically about him.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #101
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Please re-read what I said. It shouldn't be too hard since it was quoted. Which single person did Carey personally attack? You have a name? A physical description of the guy? Oh yeah, he said "KCBS," like I thought he did. The way I read it, he talked about the environment at KCBS events. The game that the body puts on. I doubt every one will agree, especially those who love that game, but I'll repeat, I don't see where he said anything bad about any specific person. At least a couple here have made negative comments specifically about him.

dmp
You are right, he did not hate on a single person, he hated on 95% of the PEOPLE.

You said he was not your buddy, that seems like a good stance. I'll go ahead and say they are not my buddies either. My buddies typically try to piss on less than 50% of a given population. It's just the way we roll.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #102
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
It took me a while to find it, but I knew I remembered hearing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WPE...e_gdata_player

The instructor starts talking about taste at about 10:52 into the video. He stresses balance multiple times. Once again, balance is not necessary for great flavor. Certain meats can be outstanding if you lean one way or the other with one or more of the 4 basic tastes.
This is not a KCBS judging class. These are non-certified judges grabbed off the street, or perhaps celebrity judges. The rep is trying to make sure they have a clue, but I think he's gone way, way beyond what he should have told them!

Old 07-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #103
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
You are right, he did not hate on a single person, he hated on 95% of the PEOPLE.

You said he was not your buddy, that seems like a good stance. I'll go ahead and say they are not my buddies either. My buddies typically try to piss on less than 50% of a given population. It's just the way we roll.
Exactly this.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #104
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyWench View Post
This is not a KCBS judging class. These are non-certified judges grabbed off the street, or perhaps celebrity judges. The rep is trying to make sure they have a clue, but I think he's gone way, way beyond what he should have told them!
I'm glad to know that its not a CBJ class.

But I do wonder how prevalent this notion is of balanced being better just because its balanced.

One person's balanced is another person's bland.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 05:24 AM   #105
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Balanced and bland are not even in the same ballpark.
Bland is the lack of flavor. Balanced is correctly proportioned flavor.
Has nothing to do with how much flavor.