• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Grill Purchase Advice.

I have a 2007 18 inch grate Jumbo Joe (AKA Smokey Joe Platinum) It is set up like a current smokey joe gold because it has side vents and a lid bail. I set up a homemade "hovergrill" by taking a 14 inch smokey joe grate and creating legs with carriage bolts, washers, and nuts. This gives me two levels for indirect cooking. When I camp/travel I have cooked pork shoulder, chuckies,meatloaf, abt's, moink balls, whole chickens, chicken thighs, chicken wings, and turkey breast. I have direct grilled items like steaks, burgers, salmon, shrimp, brats, etc.

My family loves the vacation food I produce and we very seldom go out because of it. With a little planning a lot of food can be cooked on an 18 1/2 inch kettle. Long story short, I suggest trying the current version of the Jumbo Joe. It is a little different than mine as it has a shorter bowl and a bottom vent. I would figure out a hover grill and get some charcoal rails for indirect cooking and then get crazy with it! I like the hovergrill concept because I can do two full family packs of wings or thighs and just rotate the top grate chicken with the bottom halfway through cooking. I can then feed a pretty good crowd in a camping/tailgating situation.

I have a 2007 18 inch grate Jumbo Joe (AKA Smokey Joe Platinum) It is set up like a current smokey joe gold because it has side vents and a lid bail. I set up a homemade "hovergrill" by taking a 14 inch smokey joe grate and creating legs with carriage bolts, washers, and nuts.

You got any pictures of this "hovergrill" contraption you speak of?

IBTHREADHIJACK

Any of these would probably work, but I will tell you what I would do. I would get a SJ and build a mini WSM and take that with me. From personal experience, I spent 6 weeks on a job a number of years back and a co-worker and I lived off a SJ Gold the entire time. We only ate one dinner meal the entire time that did not come off that little grill. That was even before I built the mini WSM from it. Having a smoker available on top of the grill adds a whole new dimension. The advantage of the SJ Gold is that it can be totally closed with all the dirt locked inside. The downside is that generally speaking it won't get as hot as some of the other options.

You got any pictures of this "hovergrill" contraption you speak of?

IBTHREADHIJACK
hover_closeup.jpg

This is the commercial version. For DIY just attach 4 bolts to an approriately sized grate and create the height you want.

Thanks for all the help! I think I'm going to go with the JJ...

As a fan of the WGA myself, I think you have probably made a good decision to go with the Jumbo Joe. I don't have one of those but I'm possibly thinking about trying to sneak one in here sometime soon. I think it's portability might make it the perfect carry-along grill for such occasions as yours.

I have a wga and just got a Jumbo joe.....I would by the Jumbo Joe ,The WGA Rocks dont get me wrong I Had it and a Smkey joe forever ...Just got the Jumbo Joe ...And If I were going with 3 other people for a few days the JJ is for me ..if just the wife and I .. Sj or WGa easy./

Last edited:
I have a wga and just got a Jumbo joe.....I would by the Jumbo Joe ,The WGA Rocks dont get me wrong I Had it and a Smkey joe forever ...Just got the Jumbo Joe ...And If I were going with 3 other people for a few days the JJ is for me ..if just the wife and I .. Sj or WGa easy./

Do you know if Weber makes charcoal baskets for this grill? If not, will the regular baskets work in it adequately?

Do you know if Weber makes charcoal baskets for this grill? If not, will the regular baskets work in it adequately?

Pretty sure the regular baskets fit because they fit in a regular 18.5 kettle. Problem is that there isn't much space to spread them out to take advantage of them for indirect. OTOH, you can put them together and have an awesome high heat searing capability.

I love my Jumbo Joe, it is the newer version. The lid lock is a good idea for a take along grill for the amount of people you plan on cooking for.

Back