• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What's your favorite sauce right now?

Plowboyz 180. Even the wife requested it after we ran out. Weird! Just ordered another bottle along with some of their En Fuego. If I don't have time or money to order, I usually just prefer to make my own. After looking at the options at the local grocery store, I found that they all used artificial smoke flavoring. Just had to draw the line somewhere...

I'm curious about any brethrens' opinions on Garland Jack's sauces. Bought some a while back when HT had it on sale for $0.79. Since then, I've bought a few bottles of the Hickory Spice and Sweet Brown Sugar along with the Original Recipe. Unfortunately, looks like Original's got HFCS as its primary ingredient.

http://www.garlandjacks.com/sauce.html

I'll grab Stubb's and Pork Barrel when it's on sale. I especially like to mix Stubb's Spicy and Honey Pecan.

Note: Appears that HT has GJ's on sale for $1.119 this week.

The only thing I sauce is chicken (Shut up Landarc). Ribs I'll serve sauce on the side. BigButzBBQ No Butz sauce is killer. So's the Cranberry. However, I've used Big Ron's sauce on bone in pork loin chops (Most excellent too) which would be an outstanding pairing for baby backs I'm thinking if you sauced your ribs.
Both are Brethren and are in the Ventures forum.

Last edited:
Just tried Rod Grey's IPO sauce on pork...DELICIOUS!!!

I make my own, BAALS big boy BBQ sauce, its an old family recipe from my great great Grandfather. South GA. style.
But in a pinch I like sweet baby rays or the Carolina style Sticky Fingers.

It seems from the responses that most of you like to eat high fructose corn syrup.

@dannyb I don't know whats available in All Benny but kroger carries all the Williamson sauces. Too thin for me tho.

I prefer my own above any that can be purchased. It's a typical Texas sauce, but I add molases, fish sauce (nuĂłc mam), raw ACV and a few specialty spices like mace and cumin and chipotle for a out of this world flavor experience

Hands down IMO the best bottled sauce is Daigles Cajun sweet and sour spicy.

Well i have to admit the only kind I like at the moment is my own. Everyone likes it but for my OCD self I think it still needs a slight tweak.

I'm diggin' Head Country Original right now, but I've got to get my hands on some Big Butz and give it a try.

I like famous daves pretty well for a thicker sauce. However I'm also a big fan of Shane's Rib shack too. Its thinner and a bit more vinegarry (is that a word?)....but great on some pork tenderloin sliders.....

On ribs & chicken I like this one

Texas Red Sauce

This is a thin sauce, very
basic and good on all
BBQ.

1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
6 Tbl white sugar
2 Tsp salt
2 Tsp chili powder (Guajillo powder, chile d'arbol powder
and ground cumin)
1tsp back pepper
1tbl New mexico chili powder
1 tbl paprika
2 tsp Cholula hot sauce

In a microwavable bowl or large measuring cup combine vinegar, water, sugar and spices.
Heat on high 1 min stir to dissolve sugar allow to cool 20 min. stir in ketchup and bottle.
Allow to sit at least 4 hrs or overnight.

Care to enlighten us as to how those measurements are calibrated?
Is Tbl a tablespoon?
Is Tsp a Tablespoon or a teaspoon?
I presume a tsp is a teaspoon... or is it?
And wtf is a tbl?
Consistency is important in measurements of these sorts, no offense intended.

I've been enjoying Garland Jack's Squealin' Hot. It has real sugar. Not sure of their reasoning, but 4 of the 6 recipes use HFCS, and 2 use real sugar. You have to read ingredients list.

For home made sauce, I like something with a sweet/spicy balance and a finishing kick. Not big on thick sauce either, I even throw in some extra vinegar in the Squealin' Hot to thin it down a bit and give it more bite. Thinned out Head Country is good too.

Care to enlighten us as to how those measurements are calibrated?
Is Tbl a tablespoon?
Is Tsp a Tablespoon or a teaspoon?
I presume a tsp is a teaspoon... or is it?
And wtf is a tbl?
Consistency is important in measurements of these sorts, no offense intended.

tsp =tea spoon
tbl = table spoon

Back