MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #16
bbqstudio
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
Yeah, that is what they do to undergraduates, in classes for that have a lot of non majors in it. Funny thing, almost all graduate classes are small. As are most classes that are specialized for a particular major.

And the fact that they are over a semester and not two days.

So.... not really a direct correlation.

I just stated my opinion. I can have my opinion and you can think you got value for your money at the same time.
That's the best part about America - we are all entitled to our own!

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #17
bbqstudio
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter1 View Post
Great review and it sounds like it's more than worth the price. My wife actually asked me If I wanted to go, she was going to give me the trip for a Christmas present this year but I wanted a new shotgun instead.
That's a hard choice - I might have gone with the shotgun too. It's worth the money (or it was to me at least) but I never turn down a new gun.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #18
TremontBBQ
Got rid of the matchlight.

New shotgun = more meat to cook
More meat to cook = more opportunity to perfect the cook!
TremontBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #19
Shooter1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TremontBBQ View Post
New shotgun = more meat to cook
More meat to cook = more opportunity to perfect the cook!
LOL - I don't hunt I shoot sporting clays. No matter how low and slow I cook those little orange birds they still come out tough and cruchy!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #20
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

One day i might make it to his class.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #21
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Great write up. If it wasn't such a far location it would be something that I would consider. I took Harry Soos Slap Yo Daddy class in December and the 25 minute drive was perfect.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #22
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have taken the shot gun MM don't impress me 1 bit be dam if I'd fatten his bottom line. Not that I need someone to teach me how to cook I don't, but you can get a great education right here foe free!

Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #23
BigAshHole
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqstudio View Post
Personally - it was worth the money to me of just making two new friends in Tampa that our families have become friends and cook together. That alone as well as the food was amazing experience.
I took the class a year ago and although there were no kegs at the time it was still worth the money. As you mentioned every penny. If you look closely at many of the recipes in the book and compare against your notes from the class, you will see a difference from the recipes in the book, especially around injections, rubs, sauces and cook times.

I have bumped into Myron at a number of different cook-off’s over the last year or so and he remembered me each time, took the time to speak with me (again) and was just as pleasant as could be. I have contemplated doing the class again just for the brisket and whole hog portions of the class. It really does teach you a few things, like how bad some of my cooking was until I get some lessons from a master.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #24
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

I had heard that Myrons class was not hands on,sounds like i heard wrong. Nice review i took Harry Soos class and it was only one day but was well worth it, may have to take it again to see what i missed ( meat prep)

Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #25
bbqstudio
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Ron View Post
I had heard that Myrons class was not hands on,sounds like i heard wrong. Nice review i took Harry Soos class and it was only one day but was well worth it, may have to take it again to see what i missed ( meat prep)
You could see from the pictures we hand our hands in there... Wagu's, ribs (baby and spares), shoulder, chicken and butts were at our tables. We had 4-5 people at our table and we all took our chance as well as had one of his "black shirts" with out. He said the Wagu's for the glass were like $5000.

Yes, there were Kegs too and MM was drinking Crown :) (per my first picture).

Old 01-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #26
Smith's Pig Pen
Full Fledged Farker

been wanting to do that. Nice to see a real review- thx!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #27
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

You seem to be very impressed with that $5k figure. That is only 1/9 of the amount he took in receipts, but let's look at that amount.

$5k / 60 = $83.33 per person. In quantity, I can get grade 5 waygu brisket (the GOOD stuff) for about that. Did each person cook a brisket and take it home? (or split it between two people) That actual sounds like a good return on the investment. A quality rack of ribs and a brisket would add a lot of value.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #28
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

I took Myron's class several years ago, before he started teaching at home. We met at Stephen F. Foster state park for the weekend. Myron, David Hare, James Brett, and another cook who's name escapes me right now, taught. We prepped Friday afternoon, had a meal and planning session, and met back at 3 a.m. to start things off. Myron still had his old pipe smoker "The Hunley" and James brought a couple of other cookers. This was just about the time Myron got into marketing the "Jack's Old South" name more widely.
We did all four meats, no wagyu, no whole hog, but stayed real busy on the "competition schedule". Great weekend with discussion about rubs, sauce, injections, marinades, cookers, temps, time, foil, etc. We had about 20 people and it was very hands on.
We had teams represented from FL, GA, TN, SC, NC, TX, and CA...maybe others. This was, by far, the best money I ever spent on a "hobby". I still drop a note to Myron now and then and still order his rub -- though it has gone up! Back then I got 25# for $75.00. Stuff goes for $200 now!! I don't buy it 25# at a time any more. If I get the chance to buy another volume cooker I'd like to have Myron's Whole Hog cooker. Simple and straight forward design and great capacity.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #29
RAYSOR
Full Fledged Farker

Great review, thanks!
RAYSOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #30
BigAshHole
Knows what a fatty is.

[QUOTE=Did each person cook a brisket and take it home? (or split it between two people) That actual sounds like a good return on the investment. A quality rack of ribs and a brisket would add a lot of value.[/QUOTE]

There was enough meat left over for everyone to take a huge bag full if they wanted too. Most opt'd not too because they flew in and taking that kind of thing on a plane is a "PIA". The folks that drove took coolers full.

That said, breakfast on Sunday was "whole hog", enough to feed everyone at the table twice. Then on to Ribs, chicken, butt and brisket. If you left there hungry then you dont like BBQ.