First WSM smoker - Boston Butts pron

djoseph74

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
About an hour in!

20130112_111149.jpg

more to come...

Oh man, what a shiny cooker!

The door looks a bit off, you might want to try and bend it ever so slightly to get a tighter fit.

Yah I was wondering about the door. I'll try adjusting a bit. I noticed there are some replacement doors out there that are made of steel. I wondered if they were worth exploring.

Yah I was wondering about the door. I'll try adjusting a bit. I noticed there are some replacement doors out there that are made of steel. I wondered if they were worth exploring.

Yeah, you can bend it to proper shape. The SS door is a great option as well. I'd roll stock and spend my $ on meat. :becky:

Hey Dan,
Everything looks good. Gotta love the WSM, eh?
But, if you're lookin', you ain't cookin'.
Keep the lid on the WSM and let it do it's magic.

Hey Dan,
Everything looks good. Gotta love the WSM, eh?
But, if you're lookin', you ain't cookin'.
Keep the lid on the WSM and let it do it's magic.

Thanks! I do love it. Very happy!

LOL I was just give the meat a spraying, lids back on, I'm back watching TV :thumb:

Some final pics. I only took a picture of one of them before I pulled it. Not the best one, but they both turned out great.

20130112_205217.jpg

20130112_200218.jpg

Looks great, but ....

There's nothing on the lower rack! You could have a brisket down there. Or a couple more butts. There's space on the top where you could throw a few brats on (not the precooked ones) or some Polish and Italian sausage. I like to smoke up a few of something if I have space on the grate. Even a couple chicken legs would be nice.

Looks like excellent results for your first cook! :thumb:

Hey Hank,

Thanks! I was amazed at the space. I remember barely getting 1 10lbs butt on my kettle. I was gazing at the space today thinking about all the different combinations o things I could have smoking on that monster. Its awesome. I'm going to try loading it up real good in a couple weeks :D

They look great to me too! Love the looks of the bark. :thumb:

Did 80# of butts on my 22.5 this past week. Needed a bit larger fire due to the heat sink effect of all that cold meat but the WSM delivered as usual. An amazing piece of equipment. :sly:

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk HD

Keep the original door and save the money. With a little time and effort they can be bent to fit fine and will seal very well after a few cooks.

Looks like you got the hang of it pretty quick! I'll take that plate of bark, please.

Back