Grilling a Frozen Steak?

Teamfour

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
A local butcher recommended to my boss to grill 3/4 inch ribeyes while still frozen. The process was 3 min, flip, 3 min, flip, 4 min, flip, 4 min. Steaks came out a perfect medium. Any one tried this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of other variables involved there. At what temp? How far is the heat from the meat, etc.?

I've done frozen burgers direct from freeze to grill but never as good as meat between 60*F-70*F to the grill for steaks.

When you let the meat thaw and come down to room temp, the pores open and allow it to accept the seasoning better.

I'm not sure about this method at all - not unless you want a really dry outer layer as there would be considerable moisture loss...much more so than throwing a cold steak on direct, which is bad enough.

You may want to check out the reverse sear...especially with a nice cut like ribeye.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136959

I had a friend attempt this. He thought they were great. I didn't. The outside cooks quickly, the inside doesn't. Well done on the outside, rare/raw in the middle. Just exactly what you would expect.

I have done it in restaurants many times, you will have to flip it more than than three or four times to keep it from being to well done and dry on the outside and still cold on the inside.

If you can, start it out on a cooler spot on the grill and then move it to give it the finish sear and how done you want it. I have never used a gauge on any steak just feel, by all means use a temp gauge if you have one. you can also hold the steak between both hands and bend it, you should be able to see the color of the meat just under the top layer, if it is very red it is going to be rare and so on and so on. You can press down in the middle hard with the side of your little finger and feel if the center is cool, warm or hot will tell at what stage it is.

Most important is keep it turned so you wont be get the nice grill marks we go for, and then let is sit on a warm plate to rest so it will continue to warm to the center. The thicker the steak of course the harder it is to do, but it can be done. If it has a bone like a T bone the meat will start to edge down lower from the bone and of course again with the feel test and rest. If done right no one should be able to tell if was frozen, many will dispute that but I would bet my paycheck they can't, that is if I had a paycheck. :rolleyes:

Now after saying all that, we never did it on purpose because its a pain in the arss and slows things down in a fast kitchen, but sometimes we would have a run on say the 8 oz top and get an order at the last minute so into the freezer we went. But why not let them thaw?

I will add that contrary to what most folks think, they have consumed more frozen steaks than they know.

I mentioned picking the meat up with both hands and bending it, don't. Working in a kitchen you can do that and other things like pick up a hot pan to move without protection, or picking bakers out of a 450 degree oven but if you don't know how and don't do it all the time then please use a pair of tongs, I have not worked in a kitchen for some time and can do it within reason but not like I used to do.
Dave

Last edited:
Years ago my brother and I were drunk as as skunks and threw frozen ribeyes on the grill. The next morning we said they were good. This in no way proves that butchers theory. That night, my brother and I probably would have eaten warm dog poop and asked for seconds. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Years ago my brother and I were drunk as as skunks and threw frozen ribeyes on the grill. The next morning we said they were good. This in no way proves that butchers theory. That night, my brother and I probably would have eaten warm dog poop and asked for seconds. :)

Please don't ever invite me to drink with you and your brother, well that is ok but I will insist we eat before we go drinking. :-D
Dave

It's amazing what one will eat after a few drinks, sometime let me tell you what the bathroom run after eating a whole bag of sun chips feels like, can we say tumbleweed?!?

Seriousness aside, I would never recommend grilling straight from frozen, see hungry man or banquet in the freezer section for a great example.

If the steaks were thin enough I could see how that could work. Every now and again I can't afford super thick steaks and when I get the thinner ones its real easy for me to cook em past rare. Partly my fault I know...

Thanks. Interesting comments.

To be clear, I would never try this. I was just intrigued by this process.

A local butcher recommended to my boss to grill 3/4 inch ribeyes while still frozen. The process was 3 min, flip, 3 min, flip, 4 min, flip, 4 min. Steaks came out a perfect medium. Any one tried this?

http://www.bustle.com/articles/34922-want-the-best-steak-of-your-life-dont-thaw-the-steaks-before-cooking-them

I saw this on the news just this morning and came here to see what you good folks thought.
We try to buy when stuff is on sale and stock our chest freezer.
I like marinades, so I suppose one could marinade then freeze...

Back