Mr Brown

bruno

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just finished a small pork butt. Tastes good.

This was the first smoke on a WSM. Man was it easy, set it and forget it. Not much room for many items, but for a small cook, hard to beat.

WSM=Lazy Q:p

Attachments

• IMG_0714 2.jpg
    IMG_0714 2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 144
Mans that looks tasty. Wish I had one for breakfast.

I keep hearing good things about WSM's. May have to get one for small jobs.

Looks great - but how small is that butt? Judging from the forks, it looks smaller than a can of soda.

BrooklynQ said:
Looks great - but how small is that butt? Judging from the forks, it looks smaller than a can of soda.

It was about 5# uncooked. Those were "bear claws" to do the pulling (they didn't work for chit).

It tastes better today than it did last night.

bruno said:
It was about 5# uncooked. Those were "bear claws" to do the pulling (they didn't work for chit).

It tastes better today than it did last night.

I got a set several months back and after one attempt, they rarely come out of the drawer... just plain ol' forks work so much better.

Jeff_in_KC said:
I got a set several months back and after one attempt, they rarely come out of the drawer... just plain ol' forks work so much better.

I don't own them, but have used Phils the same way he does: Uber-Tongs

Easy way to grab giant cutts of meat when you need to move them around the smoker for whatever reason (or to left them out)

#12 boston butt handler mods

It's Mini-Bill!

Nice butt, Bruno :shock:

As far as the WSM capacity, you'd be amazed at what you can fit in there. I've cooked 8 slabs of ribs (four on each grate, using a rib rack, and you may be able to do more if you roll them. Also, there are pictures on the virtual weber bullet site of 6-8lb butts in a WSM. The guy made a teepee out of three butts leaning on each other on each shelf.

I have a couple of sets of the plastic bear paws.

They shred great - and they are very sharp there on the pointy ends.

Your woody model doesn't have pointy ends, looks like that would be a problem.

Speaking of a WSM, I have a Brinkman Gormet, kinda like a WSM. Only used it twice cause stiff came out like beef jerkey. (Maybe I cooked that stuff to long) Anyway, anybody have any luck with that model cooking up stuff as good and easy as the WSM?

racer_81 said:
I have a couple of sets of the plastic bear paws.

They shred great - and they are very sharp there on the pointy ends.

Your woody model doesn't have pointy ends, looks like that would be a problem.

I like to use insulated rubber gloves to "pull" pork. The insulation is the key. Pulling hot pork with uninsulated gloves becomes painful quickly. I find that I have better control over the consistency of the pork if I pull by hand. It's also easy to spot/feel the things you want to remove before you serve.

RichardF said:
I like to use insulated rubber gloves to "pull" pork. The insulation is the key. Pulling hot pork with uninsulated gloves becomes painful quickly. I find that I have better control over the consistency of the pork if I pull by hand. It's also easy to spot/feel the things you want to remove before you serve.

Ditto. I pick out any fat globs I find while pulling. Sometimes I want a more shredded style pulled pork.

i dont need to pull pork no more. i foil around 140* after th bark sets and no earlier that four hours in smoke, bring it up to 200* at 250* then cooler it or just let it rest back down to 160*(all as per instructions from this site, thanks guys) then unwrap pull the bone out with two fingers and just crush it down! almost no fat and very moist. thanks.
phil

Hawgsnheifers said:
Speaking of a WSM, I have a Brinkman Gormet, kinda like a WSM. Only used it twice cause stiff came out like beef jerkey. (Maybe I cooked that stuff to long) Anyway, anybody have any luck with that model cooking up stuff as good and easy as the WSM?

I had a Brinkmann Gourmet for several years (the base finally rusted/burned away) and made some pretty tasty que with it.

The lack of damper control is a concern, but I found that using the Minion method of lighting the charcoal gave me a nice burn and reasonable burn times.

One of these days, light it up and throw on some chicken - don't fret over the temps but adjust your cook time to the heat. Chicken is a lot more forgiving (and cheaper) to experiment with than the other meats.

rookiedad said:
i dont need to pull pork no more. i foil around 140* after th bark sets and no earlier that four hours in smoke, bring it up to 200* at 250* then cooler it or just let it rest back down to 160*(all as per instructions from this site, thanks guys) then unwrap pull the bone out with two fingers and just crush it down! almost no fat and very moist. thanks.
phil

You trim off the fat cap?

Back